Part Time Temporary
1800 Massachusetts Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
PART-TIME PAID Conference Associate Position
The Alliance for Peacebuilding
The Alliance for Peacebuilding (AfP) is a membership network of over 100 organizations. Our members include some of the world’s largest development organizations, most innovative academic institutions, and the most powerful peacebuilding groups. We bring together coalitions in key areas of strategy and policy to elevate the entire peacebuilding field, tackling issues too large for any one organization to address alone.
AfP is seeking a highly-motivated, proactive professional who is interested in gaining direct event management experience for an international peacebuilding organization. The Conference Associate (CA) will work at the intersection of the international peacebuilding field in Washington, DC, providing logistics support for PeaceCon 2018, AfP’s 2018 Annual Conference. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn about the peacebuilding field from the inside, with broad exposure to a wide variety of civil society organizations, government and military partners, and representatives from fields closely related to peacebuilding. The CA will have the opportunity to connect with AfP’s network of partners both overseas and in Washington. S/he reports directly to the Membership and Outreach Coordinator, and will work on the following tasks:
- Preparing conference materials, including: speaker bios, the conference program, signage, etc.
- Maintaining the conference pages on the AfP website, including: speaker bios, FAQs, visa info, visitor info, registration, etc.
- Liaising with the communications team to promote the conference publically
- Liaising with the hotel to negotiate the group rate and manage the relationship
- Liaising with the conference venues (FHI 360 and USIP) to manage the contract, room set-up, equipment, catering, etc.
- Managing the event in the Neon database, including ticketing, registrations, troubleshooting registration/payment issues directly with constituents, etc.
- Other ad hoc tasks
The position is temporary, part-time (20 - 24 hours per week) and based in Washington, DC. AfP expects this position to be filled until early November of 2018. This position has an hourly rate of $15, payable according to AfP’s bi-monthly payroll schedule, with standard deductions, and perks including lifetime membership with AfP and fitness center access.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree. Educational background in administration, communications, finance, peacebuilding and/or related fields a plus
- Candidates should have about a 1 year of professional office experience, preferably in a non-profit setting (internships and volunteer work qualify)
- Excellent communication skills both in writing and verbal presentation
- Must be proficient with PC-based computers, with strong computer skills, including database entry and maintenance;
- Experience with CRMs, databases, website editing (Wordpess), and graphic design (Canva) is a strong plus;
- Must be detail-oriented, with excellent organizational skills; strong problem-solving abilities; personality willing to find creative and cost-effective solutions to operational issues
- High proficiency in Word and Excel preferred
- Must possess effective interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with diverse individuals at all levels, anticipating needs and keeping staff informed of problems and issues
- Enthusiasm and commitment to the mission of AfP
- Must have the ability to take initiative and be resourceful in maintaining a professional work environment
- Must be able to handle confidential data (e.g. budget and salary information, contractual terms and conditions, etc.)
- Proactive, independent and team-oriented work ethic
- Must be flexible, able to multi-task and work in a busy environment to meet deadlines
- Event planning experience a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume and list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN: Adam Wolf, Membership and Outreach Coordinator. Each attachment should be labeled "Last name, First name – [Document type].” Deadline to apply is: April 20th, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will be filled as soon as a well-qualified person is identified.
Only applicants meeting required qualifications for the position will be considered. The Alliance for Peacebuilding is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes resumes from all qualified applicants, particularly women and minorities. The Alliance for Peacebuilding does not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, race, or persons with disabilities.