Details: This is a non-exempt, hourly position starting at $13.50, DOE
Organization: Friends of the Multnomah County Library
Position: Book Room Assistant
Reports to: Book Room Manager
Schedule: 20 hrs/week, plus additional hours for biannual book sales in April and October
ABOUT FRIENDS OF THE MULTNOMAH COUNTY LIBRARY
The Friends of the Multnomah County Library (FOL) advocate for and support our outstanding public library. We are committed to providing supplemental funding for library programs and services and to sponsoring activities which engage people who value our library.
This part-time position assists in Book Sorting Room operations by preparing donated materials for used book sales in order to generate revenue in support of the FOL mission.
The Book Room Assistant independently performs moderately complex duties in accordance with established procedures, including sorting and packing donated books and media, evaluating materials,answering questions from on-site volunteers, carrying and stacking packed boxes, and assisting with preparation, implementation and clean-up of biannual used book sales.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
- Facilitates an efficient workflow in the Book Sorting Room by relocating both individual items and loaded boxes in a timely manner
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with volunteers, co-workers, library staff, members of the Friends of the Library, donors, and the general public
- Presorts donated materials by evaluating them as to their suitability for book sales, i.e., checking for physical condition and comparing materials to a set of selection criteria
- Sorts materials into designated subject categories and price levels; shelves materials in preparation for pricing and boxing
- Regularly prices individual items for the Friends’ Book Sale according to established guidelines
- Packs materials into boxes by subject area
- Regularly lifts boxes weighing up to 70 lbs., moves them using carts or hand trucks from the sorting area, and stacks them in designated storage locations on a daily basis
- Responsible for keeping records of book boxes stored for sales
- Responds to written and oral instructions provided by the Book Room Manager, and seeks clarification when necessary
- Assists the Book Room Manager in assembling the required number of boxes for each book sale
- Answers routine questions from volunteers regarding established Book Sorting Room procedures and processes such as locating appropriate book categories
- Works closely with the Book Room Manager to maintain an organized, clean and efficient space within the Book Room
- Assists during actual book sales by performing a variety of tasks including table layout and set up, materials arrangement, and restocking
- Manages the Book Depot at book sales by orchestrating the work of volunteers to expedite receiving, counting, labeling, and storing multiple boxes of books from a single customer
- Assists with the collection of data about books sold in each category during each book sale
- Provides assistance to the FOL Retail Store and the Online Store as designated by the Book Room Manager
- Oversees the activities of the Book Sorting Room in the absence of the Manager
- Performs related duties as required
- Implements FOL Board policies and procedures
- Attends training sessions as appropriate
NOTE: The previous examples are intended only as illustrations of the various kinds of work performed in this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to push/pull boxes weighing up to 70 lbs.
- Ability to move stacks of boxes using a hand truck
- General knowledge of a variety of books, subjects and literature
- Ability to work with alphabetical and numerical filing systems
- Ability to work independently as well as coordinate the work of volunteers
- Skill in communicating instructions to others
- Ability to learn FOL procedures appropriate to book sale operations
- Ability to receive and transmit written and oral instructions
- Ability to determine when a situation should be referred to a manager
- Skill in organizing and maintaining an efficient workspace
- Ability to work closely with volunteers in implementing processes
- Ability to perform basic computer operations including basic knowledge of programs such as Google Drive, Word, and Excel
- Ability to lift, reach, and bend to locate, sort, shelve, and pack a variety of materials
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; talk or listen; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, and crouch. Occasionally, the employee is required to sit, crawl, climb or balance.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee will make occasional pick-ups of sizeable book donations using the employee's own car if available (mileage reimbursement provided).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally is exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Bachelor’s degree; or any equivalent combination of related training and experience
Benefits include paid time off, paid holiday and employer match retirement plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants who meet the qualifications are encouraged to apply. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references in a single PDF to email@example.com. Deadline: Wednesday, October 10th. No phone calls please.