Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
North Atlantic Books, an educational nonprofit, has pioneered the publication of significant new titles in alternative health, somatic and bodywork therapies, martial arts, social justice, and spiritual consciousness and growth since 1977 in Berkeley, California. Our list also includes literary publishing, current affairs, cultural studies, and environmental titles. We publish 40–50 titles a year with a staff of 21 people in the heart of Berkeley, California. Our titles are distributed by Penguin Random House Publisher Services, and we have over one thousand books in print.
The acquisitions editor is responsible for acquiring, developing, and managing approximately 15 books per year, working closely with the publisher and acquisitions manager to strategically develop seasonal lists. The acquisitions editor attends weekly leads meetings and acquisitions-committee meetings and pitches their own titles for consideration, running P&L statements and conducting market research to prove viability. Additionally, they steer acquired titles through the launch and pre-sales process, working with design and marketing to develop covers, titles, and Title Information (TI) sheets, and are responsible for handing off finished manuscripts and art to the production editor as well as editing final back-cover copy.
- Contribute to the short and long-term growth of the publishing program by soliciting, acquiring, and developing 5-7 titles per year as well as managing 8-10 projects acquired by others (the publisher, the founder, other editors), for a total of 15 books per year
- Network extensively with potential authors and keep track of developments in North Atlantic’s niches and categories, including attending conferences
- Evaluate proposals and manuscripts and provide authors with editorial feedback/development
- Participate in weekly leads meetings and acquisitions committee meetings; pitch and present projects at acquisitions, launch, and other meetings as needed
- Negotiate initial terms of publishing contract with author and/or agent; serve as intermediary between author and publisher/contracts manager
- Conduct and analyze sales research, including P&Ls
- Develop and maintain strong agent and author relationships
- Edit back-cover copy, other sales copy as needed
- Work with authors and others in-house to develop title, subtitle, book specs
- Research comparative titles and cover art
- Hand off final manuscript and art files to production editor with directions for copyediting, permissions status for artwork, etc.
- Participate in developing marketing and publicity plans
- B.A. in liberal arts
- Experience with and affinity for subject areas North Atlantic publishes
- Minimum 5 years experience as an editor in publishing and/or other media, including some developmental-editing experience
- Experience in acquisitions, working with writers, or managing content creators
- Strong writing, communication, and negotiating skills
- Must be fiscally conscious, experienced in working within budgets, creative about problem-solving, and skilled at working with others as part of a team
REPORTS TO: Acquisitions Manager
Salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time position at 40 hours/week. Excellent benefits: health, vision, and dental plan; 401K; paid sabbatical; flexible spending plan. Pleasant central Berkeley neighborhood and flexible work environment.
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter by November 9, 2018 to Alison Knowles (email@example.com) with the header “Acquisitions-Editor position.” No phone calls, please.
North Atlantic Books is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce.
Health, vision, and dental plan fully covered; 401K; four-weeks paid time off per year; paid month-long sabbatical after ten years; flexible spending plan. Pleasant central Berkeley neighborhood and flexible work environment
Minimum Education Required