145 9th Street
The Jewish Film Institute (JFI) is the premier curatorial voice for Jewish film and media worldwide and a leading arts and culture organization in the Bay Area. As the presenter of the world-renowned San Francisco Jewish Film Festival – the world’s first and largest Jewish film festival – JFI catalyzes and inspires communities in San Francisco and around the world to expand their understanding of Jewish life and culture through film, media, and dialogue. In addition to its signature summer Festival, the Jewish Film Institute presents year-round live events in the San Francisco Bay Area including an annual WinterFest, Mitzvah screenings in senior communities and at San Quentin and a host of online content initiatives, including: JFI On Demand (a curated streaming service of films from the organization’s 38-year archive) and free Monthly Online Shorts that have garnered over 2.2 million views worldwide to date. In addition to its exhibition services, JFI also supports filmmakers working with Jewish themes through its yearlong Filmmaker Residency program, Jerusalem Film Workshop and Festival Awards.
Position Overview The Development Coordinator manages and maintains the donor database; processes and acknowledges contributions; ensures donor benefit fulfillment; coordinates data and logistics for mail campaigns, special events, and other fundraising; and tracks campaign progress. The Development Coordinator is responsible for working with the Development Director to create comparative financial and membership reports; reconcile generated income with Accounting and Box Office; and supporting the Executive Director, and Development Department, both at Festival and year round events as needed. Knowledge of Donor Perfect (or comparable donor database) is essential.
This is a non-exempt full-time (37.5 hours/week) position. Peak periods and special events including the Festival may require expanded hours and a more flexible work schedule.
Responsibilities Donor and Gift Processing and Database Management
- Maintain accurate member, donor and prospect information in JFI’s donor database including contact, pledge, and gift information.
- In consultation with the Development Director, process and acknowledge all pledges and gifts, including: checks, credit card charges, stock gifts, in-kind contributions, and matching gifts.
- Ensure accuracy of all data, and protect integrity of member data.
- Produce timely and accurate reports for use by the Development Director, Executive Director, Development Committee and Board of Directors, including analyses of: gifts, campaigns, in-kind contributions, pledges, matching gifts, and grants.
- Work with Development Director and contract box office staff to apply best practices and develop procedures for inputting, managing individual gifts, grants, board gifts and ticket buyer conversions for up-to-date reporting.
- Support grant reporting and renewal requests as needed.
- Help Development Director to pursue new funding sources via grants research, letters of inquiry, and outreach calls as needed.
- Maintain grant files.
- Maintain annual grants calendar, ensuring the inclusion of key deadlines, collaborating with Development Director and others to ensure timely fulfillment of reporting and submission requirements.
- Communicate membership benefits to current and prospective members, encouraging and facilitating membership purchases & renewals.
- Personalize membership mailings and correspondence, and respond promptly to membership inquiries via telephone, e-mail, and mail.
- Work with Development Director to identify, solicit and manage in-kind donations.
- Work with Marketing Manager and Development Director to facilitate donor, member and ticket buyer communication using Constant Contact, Evite, MailChimp, or other marketing platforms as needed.
Festival and Special Events
- Maintain invitation lists relevant to Festival and special events, and coordinate mailings to eligible recipients.
- Understand Festival benefits relevant to each donor category, and work with box office to fulfill Festival benefits.
- Assist with the planning and coordination of special donor events, including managing guest lists, RSVPs, and on-site logistics related to registration.
- Produce timely and accurate reports on event attendance and participation, for use by the Development Director and Executive Director.
- 2 years of non-profit fundraising experience.
- Experience and proficiency with Donor Perfect or comparable donor database (Raiser’s Edge, etc.), and Microsoft Office Suite is essential.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail oriented, organized, and focused on accuracy and quality of work.
- Analytical skills with experience working with data and spreadsheets.
- A self-starter and ability to work independently.
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Work effectively with staff, volunteers, donors and the public. Customer service experience a plus.
- Experience with Photoshop, inDesign or other graphic design program a plus.
Please send cover letter and resumé via email to email@example.com with “Development Coordinator” as the subject.
JFI is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for paid and volunteer positions, and employees seeking advancement, are considered on the basis of their qualifications, and without regard to race, color, national origin or ancestry, religion, age, sex, perceived gender, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, HIV status or medical condition, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
Minimum Education Required