BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) is a multi-disciplinary arts center located in Brooklyn, New York. For more than 150 years, BAM has been the home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities. With world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more, BAM showcases the work of emerging artists and innovative modern masters.
The Intern Program Coordinator (PT) is primarily responsible for developing, co-facilitating, and coordinating the high school internship program for the BAM Brooklyn Interns for Arts & Culture (BIAC). The Program Coordinator will be the liaison between the BIAC Intern Instructor, BAM department supervisors, BAM staff mentors, program partners, and interns in support of all program goals and objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively coordinate the administration and implementation of the Brooklyn Interns for Arts & Culture after-school program
- Support high school level interns to guide them in fulfilling programmatic goals and terms of employment
- Work with Intern Instructor and BAM Education staff to develop and manage the implementation of internship workshop curriculum and new program structure
- Coordinate outreach and recruitment of interns, supervisors, and mentors
- Support and maintain communication between BIAC Intern Instructor, BAM department supervisors, BAM staff mentors, and interns
- Support SAT prep classes and maintain communication SAT prep program instructor
- Support general educational programming needs such as virtual education and outreach.
- Support the public and educational programming components of larger departmental events such as Teknopolis and DanceAfrica
- Scheduling and material preparation for all College & Career Readiness workshops
- Coordinate onboarding and department placements of all interns in the BIAC program.
- Coordinate and facilitate Mentor & Supervisor trainings
- Serve as contact person for students, school staff, mentors & supervisors
- Work with BAM staff to promote supportive relationships that help students thrive in the internship through weekly communication with supervisors and mentors, field trip opportunities, and coordinating department tours
- Coordinate major events for BIAC, including the Mentor-Mentee Dinner & Show, intern participation in Dance Africa events, Lunch & Learns, college bus tours, virtual exchange discussions, peer-to-peer and networking events, and the Brooklyn Interns for Arts & Culture Graduation Ceremony
- Conduct all programmatic scheduling and maintain calendars for BIAC.
- Work closely with Human Resources team and other departments to coordinate auxiliary intern and staff development workshops and events
- Participate in funder visits and BAM Education board committee meetings
- Promote a culture of reflection and learning among BAM Education staff and participants
- Participate in Education & Community department staff meetings (1x a week), development meetings, and external meetings as necessary
- Support larger BAM Education initiatives that require intern involvement such as BAMKids Film Festival and DanceAfrica.
- Supporting the evaluation of the program including surveys and program feedback sessions with participants
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Two or more years experience in working with High School students
- Two or more years working with groups of youth from different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds
- Experience working in an arts organization
- Understanding of and experience in implementing Youth Development and Youth Development Resiliency Factors into youth programs
- Experience coordinating a career development internship program for youth
- Familiarity with the college application process and experience coaching youth through the process
- Strong oral & written communication skills
- Strong public speaking, facilitation, and training skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Strong collaborator and team-player
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to interact with people of all ages and backgrounds, most particularly high school juniors and seniors
- Master's degree
- Ability to nurture team cohesion
- Creative problem solving skills
- Crisis & conflict management
- Cultivating and deepening personal reflection
- Ability to use multiple learning modes to provide widest access to ideas
- Ability to motivate others
- Interest in BAM Programming
Application instructions: Must complete an online application through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
Pay Rate: Part time, 20 hours per week, $20 per hour, not eligible for benefits
Check us out on Twitter/Instagram: #SceneAtBAM
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Must complete an online application through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.