Details: The beginning salary for the minimum level of required experience is $21 per hour, with increases based on years of experience according to an established salary scale
Palestine Legal seeks a part-time Administrative Assistant/Coordinator to provide administrative support for a range of critical organizational functions including finance, fundraising, information management, and legal intake systems. The ideal candidate is highly-organized, detail-oriented and understands the importance of building strong infrastructure to advance mission and impact. She/he/they will report to the Development and Operations Manager.
The position will be located in Palestine Legal’s Chicago office. The Administrative Assistant is a non-exempt position.
ABOUT PALESTINE LEGAL:
Palestine Legal is an independent organization dedicated to protecting the civil and constitutional rights of people in the U.S. who speak out for Palestinian freedom. Our mission is to bolster the Palestine solidarity movement by challenging efforts to threaten, harass and legally bully activists into silence and inaction.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitor organizational phone line and email.
- Maintain organized donor management, mass communications and other databases.
- Execute fundraising activities, including: mailings, small event planning, prospect research, assisting with online fundraising efforts, and other fundraising activities.
- Maintain organized files and assist staff with filing needs.
- Coordinate internal and external meetings and events.
- Undertake accounting and financial tasks.
- Communicate with vendors and other organizational partners.
- Maintain office supplies inventory.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide other administrative support as required, such as scanning, mailing, and research.
- Support team members with travel planning and logistics, when needed.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned by the Development and Operations Manager
- Take on additional responsibilities on an as-needed basis as position develops.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of two (2) years of related experience, preferably in a legal and/or non-profit setting,
- Associates or other degree preferred; equivalent experience and/or job training may be substituted for degree
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong written, technical and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively, multi-task, set priorities and meet required deadlines.
- Proficiency in data management, and attention to detail with a high level of accuracy. Experience with Salesforce a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, mail merges, and other software and online tools.
- Strong digital literacy
- Self-motivated, resourceful, quick learner, and creative at problem-solving.
- Familiarity with the legal suppression that social justice activists in general, and Palestinian rights activists in particular, face in the U.S. and understanding of the Palestine-Israel issue in general.
- Strong commitment to the mission of Palestine Legal, and to building a healthy, sustainable organization.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and human rights issues.
- Comfort in working in a progressive shared office space
- Proficiency with website management, social media, and/or graphic design a plus.
- Integrity and sense of humor.
The Administrative Assistant will report directly to the Development and Operations Manager. S/he/they will also work directly with the director, staff attorneys and communications staff. S/he/they may also manage relationships with vendors and other contractors.
Little to no travel required. Some lifting may be required (e.g. carrying computers, picking up printed materials, etc., up to 50 pounds on occasion). Candidate must be able to sit for long periods of time and type on a computer and must be able to communicate frequently by phone and electronically.
The position will be located in Palestine Legal's Chicago office. This position will be based in a shared office environment.
Palestine Legal, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Excellent health and other benefits, including paid sick, holidays and vacation are also provided.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position, why you think you’ll excel in the position, and how you think you can contribute to Palestine Legal’s mission to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Administrative Assistant Application.” Applications will be reviewed through May 1st, or on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We will not consider incomplete applications. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we may not be able to respond to individual inquiries. The projected start date is May 15, 2018.