Paralegal – Matrimonial & Family Law Unit (Spanish Proficient/Fluent)
- Job posted by New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG)
Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
7 Hanover Square
Founded in 1990, the New York Legal Assistance Group provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers. The organization serves immigrants, seniors, the homebound, families facing foreclosure, renters facing eviction, low-income consumers, those in need of government assistance, children in need of special education, domestic violence victims, persons with disabilities, patients with chronic illness or disease, low-wage workers, low-income members of the LGBTQ community, Holocaust survivors, and others in need. The organization’s annual operating budget is over $30 million. Serving more than 75,000 New Yorkers annually, New York Legal Assistance Group maintains a paid staff of approximately 290, supported by 2,200 pro bono attorneys and other volunteers and interns. For more information, applicants are encouraged to visit www.nylag.org.
The New York Legal Assistance Group uses the power of the law to help New Yorkers in need combat social and economic injustice. We address emerging and urgent legal needs with comprehensive, free civil legal services, impact litigation, policy advocacy, and community education.
Values that guide us
- We reduce the effects of poverty by providing high quality, effective civil legal services.
- We partner with our clients to help them transform their lives and strengthen their communities.
- We address our clients’ multiple legal needs by collaborating across our practice areas.
- We are at the forefront of identifying and understanding New Yorkers’ most pressing legal needs, rapidly adapting to meet these needs with innovative programs and partnerships.
- We assess need broadly, recognizing that need is not a function of income alone.
- We collaborate with community organizations and engage pro bono attorneys and volunteers to serve a greater number of people with unmet civil legal needs.
- We achieve systemic change through class actions, impact litigation and by advocating for just laws and policies.
- We work to create a welcoming and inclusive work environment that reflects the communities we serve.
- We teach and train the next generation of legal service professionals.
The New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG) has an immediate opening for a paralegal in the Matrimonial & Family Law Unit to support attorneys providing consultation, advocacy and representation on all matrimonial and family law issues, prioritizing survivors of domestic violence. Attorneys in the Unit also represent domestic violence survivors on immigration matters relating to the violence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
NYLAG seeks a motivated individual with a demonstrated commitment to women’s issues and public interest. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform basic legal research and provide general litigation support, including formatting and preparing legal documents for filing
- Conduct comprehensive family law and immigration intakes with survivors of trauma to identify possible eligibility for relief and assist in assessing for representation
- Assist in administration of program, including data entry, preparation of grant reports on a monthly and quarterly schedule, and completing other administrative tasks as assigned by Unit Director
- Prepare cases under the supervision of an attorney (uncontested divorces, immigration matters, and crime victim compensation applications)
- Strong organizational and administrative skills are required; and
- Experience working with survivors of trauma, immigrant communities and/or underserved communities is preferred; and
- College degree or prior paralegal experience; and
- Spanish language proficiency or fluency.
NYLAG’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
NYLAG is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, veterans, LGBTQ people, and those with lived experiences in the communities we serve are strongly encouraged to apply.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish language proficiency or fluency.
Minimum Education Required