Full Time Temporary Contract
Details: This is an hourly contracted position, starting at $25 hour (depending on experience) with a maximum of 40 hours/week. The contract is for up to 4 months, depending on needs of the office.
ROOT & REBOUND SEEKS TEMP/CONTRACT ATTORNEY
To Support R&R Programs, including Reentry Legal Hotline & Mail Program
About Root & Rebound:
Root & Rebound is a nonprofit reentry advocacy and legal resource center whose mission is to increase access to justice and opportunity for people in reentry from prison and jail, and to educate and empower those who support them, fundamentally advancing and strengthening the reentry infrastructure across the state of California. We work to build innovative, holistic, and creative solutions to solve the criminal records barriers and reentry crisis in California and the United States. You can read more about our work at www.rootandrebound.org.
Dates & Commitment: Full-time (40 hours/week), beginning ASAP for 3-4 month period. Must be located in Bay Area and able to come into the downtown Oakland office.
Position Description: We are looking for a hardworking, self-motivated attorney or recent law school graduate with excellent legal research and writing skills to provide us with support, specifically for our Bay Area clinics, reentry legal hotline & mail programs.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Researching legal issues that affect people in reentry & composing follow up letters to hotline callers/people who write to us for legal information, using the “Roadmap to Reentry” as primary source of information & conducting new research as needed.
- Distilling and explaining complex legal information and concepts in everyday language accessible to most reading levels
- Assisting with other legal programmatic work (trainings, toolkits, educational material) as needed
- Frequent communication with R & R supervisors
The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- J.D. required
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Ability to synthesize complex legal information and distill into lay terms
- Strong attention to detail
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Independent, self-motivated, self-starter
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, comfortable asking questions
- Ability to meet research and publication deadlines, and communicate progress frequently
- Strong work ethic, reliable, positive attitude, and good sense of humor
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, people with conviction histories, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender variant individuals.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please send a resume, cover letter, short sample of legal writing (4 pages max.), and at least two references with contact information in an email to Sonja Tonnesen (Deputy Director) at the email provided. Resumes without a cover letter, writing sample, and/or references will not be reviewed. No fax or mail applications, and no phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.