Details: $100,000 - $120,000 Yearly Salary DOE. Full Time Salaried Exempt Position.
520 3rd Street
ABOUT THE OAKLAND PUBLIC EDUCATION FUND
The Oakland Public Education Fund raises resources, leverages partnerships, and fosters community engagement so that every public school student can learn, grow, and thrive. Learn more about our work at www.oaklandedfund.org.
WORK LIFE AT THE ED FUND
- A fun, fast-paced, flexible, and pet-friendly work environment;
- Great mentorship and opportunities for both personal development and professional growth;
- A brand new office in Oakland's Jack London Square that is easily accessible by public transportation, has great parking options, and is stocked with refreshments;
- Staff outings, team-building activities, staff celebrations and happy hours;
- The opportunity to make a direct, positive impact on Oakland public schools and programs serving our youth; and,
- Amazing networking opportunities with local leaders and businesses.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Oakland Public Education Fund seeks a passionate and entrepreneurially program-minded Director of Programs. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Programs will have both internal and external facing responsibilities, ranging from program responsibilities (e.g. design, development, implementation, evaluation, oversight, and program fund development) to school district and school site engagement (building program connections with the educational community) to developing resources that support the program environment and community based organizations. The Director of Programs will also work closely with the Executive Director on matters pertaining to board development and governance, administration, and organizational fund development. The Director of Programs will partner closely with the Executive Director and the Senior Leadership Team to chart the Ed Fund future growth and strategic response to a dynamic and challenging environment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design, propose and create programs aligned with the Ed Fund's mission
- Create models of theories of change, and logic.
- Ensure with the Senior Leadership Team that the Ed Fund's programs are sufficiently funded with viable revenue streams
- Provide general oversight and support to all Ed Fund programs, ensuring that programs are implemented as planned, contract compliance requirements are met, and work is appropriately distributed across program staff
- Collaborates with staff from across the organization to create plans for program development/expansion and/or program contraction as needed, ensuring that programs are integrated within each strategy area, across strategies, and within the organization as a whole, and that programs incorporate appropriate best and promising practices
- Assist in defining and developing organization-wide management and integration practices, governance standards, processes, and metrics for cross-cutting initiatives in education while maintaining an equity lens.
- Develop plans for sustainability and effectiveness of programs in collaboration with Senior Leadership Team.
- Promote and navigate sustainability efforts with community partners, collaborating with partners to ensure effective program design, delivery, and coordination of services
- Plan for and lead team meetings within and across program strategies to ensure coordinated efforts and approaches in implementation of the Ed Fund strategic plan
- Coordinate the integration of the assigned contract/budget liaison, evaluation liaison, and senior leadership team into program planning and implementation
- Develop, monitor and oversee the overall budget for programs. Oversee Program Managers' management of program budgets and their coordination with the organization's fiscal and administrative personnel. Approve program expenditures requiring a second level of review and any major budget revisions
- Collaborate and coordinate with technology and evaluation staff on the evaluation of programs and provision of program data for the organization's annual report
- In collaboration with Senior Leadership Team, monitors and reports on all aspects of programs and recommends changes or adjustments
- Identify policy issues with potential impact on programs
- Coordinate participation in community-based efforts or initiatives, ensuring the organization's strategic representation in these efforts
- Identify training and development needs of staff and collaborate with the HR Manager to plan and implement training
- Plan, implement, and oversee the operation of programs assigned directly to this position Design, propose and create programs that are self sufficient and aligned with the Ed Fund's mission, logic models and theories of change.
- Lead program evaluation in collaboration with staff, devise suitable metrics and measurable outcomes to drive educational impact.
- Support the program component of fiscal sponsorship; provide technical assistance and ensure fiscal project compliance where applicable.
- Develop thought leadership around specific program topics/emerging practice areas.
- Provide program oversight, mentorship, and support to program staff.
- Share in knowledge dissemination, reporting, and communications.
- Prepare program goals and objectives and evaluate progress and effectiveness of all program staff, provide support to program staff to achieve program deliverables within required timeframes and prepare all work plans and grant deliverables as per requirement.
SCHOOL DISTRICT AND SCHOOL SITES
- Develop and sustain relationships with district and school site personnel, including PTAs.
- Lead the A-Z fund and ensure effective implementation of program goals and objectives.
- Identify and propose grant making opportunities for the Ed Fund to support district programs, curriculum, teachers, and students.
- Serve as a liaison between school sites and community based organizations supporting their program effectiveness.
- Participates in organizational oversight and/or planning meetings as appropriate, including the Senior
- Leadership Team, strategic planning, and other higher level agency meetings
- Partner with the ED in essential internal organizational leadership activities.
- Propose, prepare, and update long-term strategies to achieve goals and evaluate organizational performance.
- Provide defacto supervision to program leads of fiscally sponsored projects in partnership with project advisory boards.
- Identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities.
- Mentor and coach staff; serve as a visible, approachable sounding board/resource
- Represent the organization to the public, key stakeholders and business partners;
- Team with the Executive Director and other staff on partnership development (e.g. businesses, community based organizations, school sites, school district, etc.)
- Other duties as requested by the Executive Director.
- Serve as a core employee, supporting key Ed Fund events and contributing to our mission, culture and structure.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of, and build relationships with, community based organizations that serve OUSD and the Oakland community.
- Serve as a core employee, supporting key Ed Fund events and contributing to our culture and structure, as well as our mission; and,
- Other duties as assigned.
- Passionate about the Ed Fund's mission and impact
- Proven high level experience in a public or private organization or community agency, including at least four years of high-level program and operational planning, management, and administration experience. Four of the seven years of experience must have included supervision of managerial or professional level staff with responsibility for diverse functional areas.
- Proven track record of program leadership
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style; ability to give and receive feedback honestly and gracefully
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and in writing; ability to communicate effectively about issues related to racial equity
- Excellent facilitation skills and the ability to create spaces for dialogue that are inclusive and respectful of people from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated success working with partners from diverse backgrounds and life experiences
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and putting values into practice
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in organizational settings
- Self-starter, self-disciplined
- Spark imagination and creativity
- Remain focused in the face of pressure, deliver against timelines
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AT THE ED FUND
The Oakland Public Education Fund is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We also know that great candidates can bring skills to The Ed Fund that we haven't thought of just yet, and who won't fit everything we've described above. If this is you, don't hesitate to apply. Tell us what unique contributions you can offer.
We are dedicated to improving our organization and know that part of it means to better reflect the people we serve. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages and we especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
- Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance.
- Generous Vacation & Sick Time Accrual.
- Generous Paid Holidays
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Failure to follow the instructions below may delay the review of your application. Applications will be reviewed immediately and candidates with the best fit will be contacted for interviews. Unfortunately, the volume of applications will prevent us from responding to all applications received.
- Combine your Resume and Cover Letter into a single PDF file with "Director of Programs - [Your Name]" as the filename.
- Send the PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Director of Programs - [Your Name]" as the subject line.