One Whitehall Street, 15th Floor
The Century Foundation (TCF), an independent progressive public policy think tank, seeks a policy advocate to serve as a Fellow with the education team, managing work on for-profit education and related issues of accountability, quality, and finance in higher education.
TCF’s Project on For-Profit Education pairs research that uncovers inappropriate or even predatory behavior for financial gain by colleges and career training groups with outreach and advocacy to stem the tide of predatory programs, and preserve the promise of higher education.
This Fellow will engage in research and strategic advocacy on policies and oversight at the state level, with possible connections to the work of accreditors and federal agencies. This position is based out of TCF’s New York City office, and will require some travel to neighboring states and Washington D.C..
Applicants may also submit materials for consideration for any of TCF’s additional postings in higher education. Please indicate preference and geographical restrictions.
- Scoping out, prioritizing, and developing a workplan in conjunction with education team’s leadership.
- Identifying and executing nonpartisan research and policy analysis projects.
- Writing reports and short-form commentary pieces.
- Monitoring policy developments, particularly at the state level, with an emphasis on New Jersey.
- Meeting with policy makers to hear their perspectives on accountability in higher education, and to offer research-based input.
- Organizing, participating in, and leading coalitions, events and meetings focused on college and career education, student debt, and related issues.
- Identifying opportunities, proposing and managing work for policy associates, interns, contractors and/or grantees, when needed.
- Assisting in identifying and securing partners, funders, and collaborators to leverage impact of work.
- Collaborating with TCF’s communications team to leverage media partners.
- Advanced degree (masters or doctorate) or demonstrated equivalent required.
- Experience in analyzing, developing, and promoting public policies relating to education, corporate accountability, workforce development, and/or consumer protection.
- Experience in advocacy, including base-building, coalition-building, and organizing.
- Exceptional research and analytical skills, both quantitative and qualitative.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Experience writing for public audiences preferred.
- Familiarity with state, federal and local governmental policy-making processes.
- A commitment to progressive values and interest in TCF’s education research agenda.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in positions related to policy advocacy including applied research and policy analysis, government, legislative advocacy, and community organizing.
This is a full-time position, funded in part by project grant support. Competitive salary and generous benefits package. Some travel anticipated.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send cover letter, one or two sample of your work (such as a research report or policy analysis memo) to HigherEdJobs@tcf.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regret we are unable to confirm the receipt of your materials or the status of your application. No phone calls or third-party inquiries, please.
The Century Foundation is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color, and people with disabilities