About WCC: Women’s City Club of New York (WCC) is a nonprofit, non-partisan, multi-issue activist organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for all New Yorkers. WCC shapes public policy through education, issues analysis, advocacy, and civic participation. WCC was founded in 1915 in anticipation of the ratification of the 19th Amendment (granting women the right to vote) as a space for women to consider political and societal issues and create change. Notable early members include Frances Perkins, Ida Tarbell, Alice Duer Miller, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Helen Hayes. Early accomplishments include the successful lobbying of Columbia University to admit women to their law school, the opening of the nation’s first Maternity Center in 1917, and educating the public to allow women to serve on juries. To this day, WCC members are dynamic, accomplished leaders in a range of fields, from policy and healthcare, to education and the law.
Position Overview: The Women’s City Club of New York is seeking an energetic, detail-oriented, self-motivated Operations Coordinator who will oversee all office operations and provide administrative support to the CEO with discretion and confidentiality. This position provides an exciting opportunity for someone who thrives in a mission-driven organization and welcomes the challenge of a fast-paced environment. The Operations Coordinator position is an ideal role for someone considering a career as a Chief Operating Officer or Executive Director and is looking to gain exposure to the administration and management behind running a high impact nonprofit organization. The Operations Coordinator will report directly to the CEO and will be responsible for leading WCC’s operations and administration as well as supporting organizational, communication, programmatic, and development needs.
Administration, Finance and Operations: The Operations Coordinator will strive to facilitate the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization by developing and maintaining key office procedures as well as sharing and implementing new ideas for improved processes.
- Financial & Vendor Management
- Liaise with WCCNY Bookkeeper and ensure smooth check requisition process and monthly general ledger reconciliation.
- Make deposits and manage petty cash.
- Lead annual audit by preparing and providing requested expense related documents.
- Participate in office budgeting process (incl. forecasting & monthly reporting review).
- Manage and organize financial files and perform annual archiving.
- Research new office-related vendors, manage existing relationships, and ensure payment.
- Manage process for collecting and tracking staff credit card expenses.
- Lead invoicing and manage accounts receivable.
- Lead and manage relationship with IT vendors, identify and facilitate technology planning.
- Communicate tech policies and procedures.
- Basic email administration, manage email groups, Google G Suite administrator, etc.
- Support of the CRM.
- Manage Space Needs and Serve as Building Contact
- Serve as main contact to facilities manager/building.
- Ensure maintenance of office space needs (electricity, deliveries, cleaning).
- Handle equipment-related issues: Copy Machine, Phones, etc.
- Distribute mail and route periodicals.
- General Office Administration
- Serve as primary WCC interface via general email and voicemail account.
- Monitor and order supplies, oversee printer maintenance.
- Assist with supporting office visitors and coordinating logistics for meetings and events.
- Contract Management: Assist in the review/analysis of grant/contract guidelines/requirements.
Human Resources: The Operations Coordinator helps to bring the WCC team together and ensure staff member needs are met, working with HR business partner.
- Support staff transitions and assist with hiring for new positions including preparing position descriptions, screening resumes, coordinating job postings and arranging interviews.
- On-board new staff members including providing orientation to WCC.
- Track staff leave dates and support staff enrollment in 401(k), FSA, and insurance plans.
- Serve as point of contact and provide clear and consistent communication for all staff regarding office policies and employee benefits.
- Participate in analysis of evaluation of staff benefits and organizational culture, share recommended changes and oversee implementation including update of employee manual.
- Coordinate staff meetings, celebrations, and retreats to support and build upon the team-based, collaborative culture and community of the office.
Board Management: The Operations Coordinator serves as a critical point of contact to members of the WCC Board of Directors, working closely with a group of successful and highly regarded professionals from diverse fields.
- Board Materials: Responsible for project management of board material prep process including setting staff deadlines, reviewing/editing documents, coordinating and compiling binders.
- Board Meetings: Arrange logistics and attend board meetings to provide assistance with set-up, space, and tech needs.
- Board Communications: Assist with board communications including monthly board email reports, quarterly board reports and board evaluation process.
Support to the Executive Office: The Operations Coordinator will report to directly to the CEO, providing selective administrative support that includes:
- Draft and prepare correspondence and mailings.
- Assist with conference registrations, travel and coordination.
- Programs & Policy: The Operations Coordinator will provide support for special projects in programs and policy as they arise.
- Assist and provide input on Member orientation, marketing and connectivity opportunities.
- Facilitate member inquiries with respect to upcoming programs and events.
- Communications: The Operations Coordinator provide input, feedback, and review of WCC materials and communications, making important contributions to organizational messaging efforts.
- Website: Support website including posting editorial and graphical updates, writing articles, news posts and event recaps, overseeing board and staff pages.
- Maintain/update press kits, edit press releases, disseminate press releases.
- Create and edit content for WCC communications and Annual Report materials
- Social Media
- Development: The Operations Coordinator will provide support to the Development needs—research, writing, meeting prep, meeting follow-up.
- Events: The Operations Coordinator will provide support on all logistical and content for WCC Events—Annual Meeting, Lunch with Legislators, Founders Day, Tours, etc.
- Gain valuable management experience by recruiting and supervising 1-4 interns/fellows per semester.
- Lead coordination of departments in preparing and distributing consistent data and impact measures on a semi-annual basis.
- Represent WCC externally at conferences, workshops, and special events.
- Other projects as they arise and time allows.
Required Skills, Experience and Abilities:
- Bachelor degree and 2-3 years of office experience required.
- Passion for WCC’s mission with or interest in financial management and accounting.
- Ability to prioritize and juggle multiple priorities as well as to interact with and report to staff members with diverse personalities at all levels of the organization.
- Experience working with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Can anticipate needs, works well under pressure and enjoys a fast-paced environment.
- Strong project management abilities.
- Fast learner, highly flexible.
- Excellent organizational skills with a focus on detail necessary.
- Independent and self-starter.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Technology skills are highly desirable including ease with Excel, Google Apps, WordPress, Social Media platforms, Salesforce, and Adobe products.
- Desire to learn and grow in the role and with the organization.
- Unique abilities that contribute to a fun office environment.
- Sense of humor.
Health, dental, vision, life insurance; vacation days; sick days; 401(k) retirement plan (no match); transit benefits ($100/month); flexible spending account; summer flex hours; and professional development opportunities.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please e-mail your cover letter (that clearly explains why this position at WCCNY is uniquely suited to your talents) and resume to Attn: Operations Coordinator Search at firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please. You will only be contacted if we are interested in pursuing your candidacy.