Details: Salary based on education level, certifications and years of experiences
100 Gallatin St. NE
POSITION: PreK Special Education Lead Teacher (ECE) for SY 18-19
REPORTS TO: Principal, Assistant Principal and Director of Student Support Services
IMMEDIATE OPENING - Bridges is seeking a Special Education Lead Teachers to lead a special education non-categorical self-contained classroom for Pre-K students with high level special needs. The teaching team will consists of 1 lead teacher and 2 Assistant Teachers. There may also be one dedicated aides in the classroom. The classroom planned enrollment size is 8 students. The classroom is rooted in the principals of ABA/VB to guide instruction and classroom management. Supervision is provided to all teaching team members by a certified BCBA practitioner. ABA or VB experience is desired but not necessary to apply for the position. Training in classroom based ABA and VB will be provided. The position is a 10 month positions.
Bridges mission is to provide an exemplary educational program that includes all students. Our developmentally appropriate, student and family-centered educational approach nurtures students to expand their developmental skills, in order to build a foundation for life-long learning. Bridges Public Charter School is expanding into an elementary school program. We will add a grade level each year reaching capacity at 5th grade in the 2017- 2018 school year.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be "highly qualified" in accordance with the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 and have: a dual Masters Degree in Early Childhood Education and Special Education; a Masters Degree and certification in Special Education; or a Bachelors Degree and certification in Special Education. Or BA and Praxis special education exams.
- Have 1 to 2 years of successful classroom teaching experience in an urban school setting. 2 or more years of teaching experience is preferred.
- Be a strong classroom manager.
- Be committed to meeting the needs of a diverse student population.
- Have a track record of being a team player and community minded.
- Be committed to their own learning including training in ABA/VB.
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to work independently.
- Passion for public schools.
- Adherence to a high level of professional and ethical standards.
- Plan and manage a non-categorical self-contained Pre-K classroom with high level special needs students and assistant teachers.
- Plan and implement a program of instruction using the school's curriculum for Pre-K using the using the school's integrated early childhood curriculum. Ensuring the program of instruction meets the individual students' goals and objectives on their IEPs and is aligned with Common Core Standards.
- Collaborate with ABA/VB Program Manager to implement classroom’s ABA/VB program. This includes planning for: classroom environment, natural environment teaching, small group and whole group instruction, discrete trial instruction, behavior management protocols, and reinforcement systems.
- Assess student progress regularly using VBMAPP.
- Modify and administer classroom based and school-wide assessments to document student's progress.
- Regularly collect data to track students’ progress in 3 program areas: curriculum, IEP, and ABA/VB.
- Complete quarterly progress reports (IEP progress reports and curriculum progress reports).
- Collaborate with related service providers, special education coordinator, curriculum coordinator, ELL Teacher and student parents to plan for student needs.
- Implement and maintain student’s Functional Communication Protocols and Behavior Protocols to respond to students' behavior appropriately and successfully.
- Participate in the IEP process by writing present levels, IEP goals, and providing thoughtful reflections during team meetings.
- Coordinate with general education teachers to create opportunities of inclusive learning.
- Support the creation of a classroom culture and environment that develops and nurtures the emotional, cognitive and social abilities of the students.
- Engage parents and families in their student's learning and acting as an ambassador for the school in the community.
- Contribute productively to the school as a whole.
- Attend and participate in school events outside of regular school hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
To ensure safety for all students, all staff members may be fingerprinted. Background checks will be conducted on all school staff prior to their service as employees. Bridges is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, religion, age, color, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary is based on educational level, certification(s), and years of experience. Employees will be contracted yearly. Contracts will be renewed according to evaluations and staff interest. Health benefits (medical & dental), disability insurance, and a retirement plan: 401-(k) or the continuation of the DCPS retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Strong written and speaking skills in English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
TO APPLY AT THIS WEBSITE: https://bridges.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx