The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation (“Foundation”) is a not-for-profit, grant making organization that seeks to strengthen, promote, and, where necessary, defend the contributions of the humanities and the arts to human flourishing and to the well-being of diverse and democratic societies. It makes grants in four core program areas (higher learning; arts and culture; public knowledge; and humanities in place) as well as out of the Office of the President. The Foundation seeks a Grants Manager.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Grants Manager will provide support in a fast-paced office that will include extensive editing, fact-checking, and proofreading, reviewing and monitoring grant recommendations, files, and grant documentation, including grant budgets, proposals, and reports, to ensure compliance with IRS and Foundation requirements, word-processing, preparing and assembling board materials, researching and writing reports, answering calls, and serving as a principal liaison with the Foundation staff.
The work is detail-oriented and requires flexibility, positivity, effective time-management, precision, patience, efficiency, and discretion.
Responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to the following:
• Works closely with Programs, Grant Accounting, and Legal to conduct appropriate due diligence, including: reviewing proposals and budgets to ensure compliance with Foundation policies and nonprofit law, identifying issues for review by Legal, guiding Foundation staff through the operations end of the grantmaking process, and monitoring the progress of grants through the pre-award, award, and post-award states.
• Drafts IP and other grant agreements for review by Legal.
• Works closely with Programs and Senior Leadership to review and prepare the quarterly docket and associated reports, and coordinates the preparation of Board Committee materials.
• Conducts analysis of grants data and prepares summary visualizations for Senior Staff and Trustees.
• Works closely with Grant Accounting and Finance to prepare award and payment letters, and ensure timely and accurate grant payments.
• Participates in ongoing efforts to improve and streamline the Foundation’s grantmaking policies, workflows, and procedures, and guides program staff through policy transitions.
• Contributes to Data Management’s continued enhancements to the Foundation’s grants management system, Fluxx.
• Prepares and conducts regular trainings on selected grants management topics for new and existing staff as needed.
• Leads and/or participates special projects as needed, including the annual report.
• Acts as program associate for Public Affairs grantmaking and inactive Foundation grantmaking programs.
• Participates in field discussions, conferences, and trainings.
Applicants should possess:
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent working conditions.
Candidates should apply by submitting a thoughtful cover letter describing fit for the position together with a resume to: Grants Manager
We will consider each response carefully, but will contact only those individuals whose candidacies we seek to pursue.
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation (“Foundation”) is a not-for-profit, grant making organization that seeks to strengthen, promote, and, where necessary, defend the contributions of the humanities and the arts to human flourishing and to the…