634 S. Spring Street, 10th Floor
The Immigrant Defenders Law Center (“ImmDef”) is a next-generation, social justice law firm that provides high-quality representation and legal services to immigrants in Southern California. ImmDef was founded with the belief that no immigrant should be forced to go into court alone, and our universal representation programs for children and adults are a first step towards that goal. Learn more about us at www.immdef.org.
In response to the current crisis of family separation, detention and need for legal representation, ImmDef is now hiring additional legal and administrative staff. ImmDef seeks a full-time Staff Attorney to provide fearless and zealous advocacy to clients in immigration removal proceedings. The Staff Attorney will work under the direct supervision of a Managing Attorney and in collaboration with their fellow attorneys. Our attorneys receive support from paralegals, administrative assistants and case managers. This is a rewarding and exciting position where the successful applicant will be engaged in cutting edge immigration litigation.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide creative representation to immigrants before the the Immigration Courts, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, and CA state court proceedings related to a client's removal case;
- Stay up to date on rapidly changing immigration laws and policies;
- Comply with data and program reporting requirements.
- Juris Doctorate required;
- Active California State Bar License required or licensure from another state and willingness to "waive into" the CA Bar via the Multi-Jurisdictional Practice Program; those who took the February 2018 bar exam will be considered;
- Spanish language proficiency will be tested at time of interview;
- Strong case management, legal research, and legal writing skills required;
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to zealously pursue new and untested legal theories;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work under pressure required;
- Enthusiasm for working at a progressive, start-up organization;
- Passion for social justice for immigrants required.
- DACA Recipients encouraged to apply!
- Experience working with detained immigrants or other incarcerated populations is a big plus;
- Experience working with marginalized populations and survivors of trauma;
- Experience with removal defense, family law, criminal defense, and/or child welfare related matters is a big plus;
- Experience working in a high volume, social-justice law firm is a huge plus;
Salary: Competitive public interest between $55,000 - $70,000 DOE + generous benefits package, including health, dental, sick and vacation time, 12 paid holidays/year, and our office is closed between Christmas and New Year's Day.
As a 501(c)(3) corporation, attorneys are eligible for public service loan forgiveness programs for federal student loans.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish proficiency is required and will be tested at time of interview.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application Instructions: Email cover letter, resume, 3 references, and brief writing sample (5 pages or less) to: Immigrant Defenders Law Center at email@example.com. In the subject line please write FIRST NAME_LAST NAME_STAFF ATTORNEY APPLICATION. Please indicate where you came across our job posting. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
ImmDef believes in second chances. As an organization, we will rely on individualized assessments in the hiring of those with past criminal convictions. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for a position fighting for our immigrant communities!
Immigrant Defenders Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.