Full Time Contract
PO Box 873
Lao Friends Hospital for Children (LFHC) is a 32 bed acute paediatric hospital situated in Luang Prabang Lao PDR. It is operated by a New York based non-profit organization Friends Without A Border that is dedicated to providing high-quality and compassionate healthcare to the children in remote areas of Southeast Asia. In 2015 the hospital was opened on the same campus as the Luang Prabang Provincial Hospital and has been developing its services since then.
LFHC is a teaching hospital offering emergency, inpatient, outpatient and surgical services to babies and children throughout Northern Lao. Limited on-site radiology, pathology and pharmacy together with a homecare program complement these clinical activities. A major goal of this hospital is to promote the clinical learning and professional development of the local staff such that key positions within the hospital are progressively filled by a well-trained and dedicated local workforce. Lao Friends hospital for Friends Without A Border (FWAB) is a New York based non-profit organization dedicated to providing high-quality healthcare to the children of Southeast Asia. In 1999 Friends built and established Angkor Hospital for Children (AHC) in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
The Director of Nursing is primarily responsible for managing all aspects of professional nursing within the hospital. Together with the Nursing Educator they will provide LFHC nurses with clinical supervision, education and training. As this is a very “hands on” role it will involve clinical time working alongside these nurses imparting mentorship and professional guidance.
The Director of Nursing will be responsible for the organization, recruitment and rostering of all nursing staff and the creation of an efficient and effective team.
As a member of the Hospital Executive the Director of Nursing will be involved more widely in setting the strategic direction of the hospital and ensuring that the hospital achieves its goals in the provision of world class medical care, education of staff and disease prevention.
• Manage all aspects the LFHC nursing team with a focus on providing education, training and professional development
• Organise, recruit and roster nurses to ensure an efficient and effective nursing team
• Oversee the development and provision of educational opportunities that will meet the needs of the individual and the hospital
• Develop leadership within the Lao nursing team to enable sustainable local management to occur within the hospital
• Recruit, support and guide international nursing volunteers
• Work with the Medical Director and the Medical Education Director to ensure LFHC has a coordinated multidisciplinary clinical team that provides safe and effective clinical care to children.
• Develop relationships with the Provincial Hospital, NGOs, and other healthcare providers to improve collaborative efforts in developing pediatric care
• Manage nursing staff in the Operating Room
• Manage the vaccination program for patients and new clinical staff
• Manage the Infection Control team
• Manage the Child Life Specialist
• Assist in the development of both nursing specific and hospital wide medical policies and protocols
• Advise in the procurement of medical equipment and supplies and the development of clinical spaces
• Review Clinical Incidents in conjunction with the Medical Director
• An Internationally recognized university degree in Nursing is essential
• Experience of managing large dynamic nursing team strongly preferred
• International experience in providing pediatric nursing care, strongly preferred
• Experience in working with nurses in a developing country setting with English as a second language, an advantage
• Ability to interact with people from various countries and backgrounds with tact, diplomacy and poise
• Demonstrated leadership abilities with strong organizational and communication skills
• Commitment to providing compassionate and nurturing care to our patients and families, while achieving the strategic and
operational goals of LFHC
• Flexibility and ability to work effectively in a varied and dynamic team
Housing allowance; travel allowance; and salary competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required