About The Praxis Project
The Praxis Project is a values-driven, national nonprofit organization that seeks to improve health justice through partnerships to build community power. Praxis believes strongly that organized communities are critical partners in the struggle to create healthy communities. Praxis works with over 200 diverse grassroots groups across the United States that influence local policy, mobilize communities, and strengthen programs and organizations to improve health justice. Praxis works to enable local efforts to build community power through training, technical assistance, and capacity building services, as well as comprehensive fiscal sponsorship. Our capacity-building programming is focused on partnerships that actively advance Praxis’ mission to build healthy communities by transforming the power relationships and structures that affect our lives. For more information, please visit www.thepraxisproject.org.
The work environment at The Praxis Project is faced-paced, creative, and fun, and our team is hardworking and extremely passionate about our mission. We are seeking an outstanding administrative professional in this position to support our ambitious growth and impact. Join us!
The Praxis Project is seeking a self-starting, quick learning individual who possesses a strong attention to detail to serve as an Accounting Associate on our Finance team. The Accounting Associate will directly report to the Accounting Manager and will provide a high level of support in most day-to-day and monthly accounting duties.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), benefits-eligible, exempt, non-supervisory position with the possibility to grow as our team expands.
Accounting Associate is a remote position. The estimated salary range for this position is $60,000-$70,000 per year, based on experience, qualifications and local cost of living where our final candidate is based. We use Nonprofit Compensation Associates compensation survey data for the San Francisco Bay Area and Bureau of Labor Statistics and other reputable indices to adjust for cost of living. Praxis is committed to hiring the best candidates for our positions, wherever they are based in the United States, and provides regular cost-of-living pay changes. Praxis also offers substantial employee benefits beyond salary and takes a holistic approach to setting compensation.
Praxis works overwhelmingly with communities of color and constituent-led organizations. Candidates whose lived experiences reflect those of the partners we work with are strongly encouraged to apply.
Duties and responsibilities
· Manage all accounts receivable (AR) activities including:
o Billing and collecting outstanding vendor and employee receivables
o Recording donations, earned revenues, fiscal sponsorship fees, and other income to accounting system to cash receipts or earned and contributed revenue
o Tracking restricted revenue
· Post bank transactions and perform reclasses in the accounting system
· Post bi-weekly payroll data including reviewing and updating payroll allocations and recording benefits
· Track bank statement activity, process transactions, and raise concerns accordingly
· Review, investigate, and correct errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents, and reports
· Month-end close support including but not limited to:
o Reconcile credit cards
o Reconcile accounts payable (AP)
o Reconcile AR
o Balance sheet reconciliations
· Support Accounting Manager in the production of financial reports and statements
Other financial management responsibilities
· Implements financial policies, procedures, workflows, and templates to ensure efficiency and adequate internal controls.
· Maintains good working relationships with fiscally-sponsored projects, vendors, funders, and employees regarding financial relationships with the organization.
· Issue annual 1099s to both vendors and IRS.
· Assist with year-end audit.
· Other tasks and projects as assigned by the Accounting Manager and Associate Director.
Required qualifications: education and experience
Required qualifications: skills, knowledge, and abilities
· Ability to work well with and to support multiple members of a team.
· Strong oral and written communication skills and exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
· Deep commitment to Praxis’ mission and approach.
Desired qualifications: skills, knowledge, and abilities
· Motivated self-starter and a quick learner with the ability to both work independently and to collaborate with colleagues at all levels of the organization.
· A high level of professionalism, customer service orientation, and scrupulous attention to detail even during high pressure periods.
· Superior organization and time management skills with ability to manage and prioritize own workload.
· Experience in a complex nonprofit that has multiple programs or with fiscal sponsorship is strongly preferred.
· Experience implementing significant new accounting systems, policies, and procedures is strongly preferred.
· Constantly looking for ways to improve and streamline processes.
Mental and physical demands
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Praxis Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, and gender expression, religious creed, disability (mental and physical) including HIV, AIDS, and AIDS-related conditions, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, age, marital status, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
The Praxis Project will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified employees with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on Praxis operations. Please advise of any accommodation needed at the time of application.
Praxis is committed to fostering a safe and welcoming work environment. All Praxis employees are required to complete training on preventing harassment and discrimination, managing bias, and creating an inclusive workplace on an at least annual basis.
About our recruitment process
We will collect applications through November 29 and contact select candidates for introductory phone conversations by December 4. Longer interviews, conducted over video call, will be held January 4-15. We seek to hire our final candidate for a February (preferred) or March start sate. All of this being said, the position will remain open until filled.
About The Praxis Project
The Praxis Project is a values-driven, national nonprofit organization that seeks to improve health justice through partnerships to build community power. Praxis believes strongly that organized communities…
The Praxis Project offers a very competitive full-time benefits package including employer-sponsored health, dental, and vision insurance, paid sick leave, paid vacation (15 days in year one of employment), 15 paid holidays per year, flexible spending accounts, 401k retirement plan with 6% employer match (immediately vested), reimbursement for cell phone and wireless internet usage as well as fitness costs, regular cost-of-living pay adjustments, and more.
The Praxis Project offers a very competitive full-time benefits package including employer-sponsored health, dental, and vision insurance, paid sick leave, paid vacation (15…
Please submit your resume and cover letter by email to Ariel Cohen, Associate Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications that do not include a cover letter explaining your interest in and fit for the position will not be considered. Please apply by November 29, 2020. Kindly do not call us or otherwise follow up on the status of your application. We have very limited capacity to correspond with individual applicants. Thank you!
Please submit your resume and cover letter by email to Ariel Cohen, Associate Director at email@example.com. Applications that do not include a cover letter explaining…