Philadelphia VIP, the hub of pro bono in Philadelphia, recruits, trains, and supports volunteer attorneys who provide free legal services to clients living in poverty.
Reporting to a Supervising Attorney, the Pro Bono Case Manager plays a critical role in VIP’s volunteer-based service model. Within VIP’s Legal Team, the Pro Bono Case Managers have primary responsibility for working up new cases and placing them with volunteer attorneys who provide pro bono representation.
The position is full-time and non-exempt, with a salary range of $40,000-$45,000, generous employee benefits, and an outstanding team atmosphere. VIP values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, and people with disabilities to apply. Due to the pandemic, the position is currently remote until VIP determines that it is safe to resume in-person operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree required (this position does not require a J.D.)
- Demonstrated interest in supporting volunteers and commitment to VIP’s service model
- Passion for access to justice for underserved communities
- Ability to speak and read a foreign language – especially Spanish, Arabic, or Southeast Asian languages – strongly preferred, but not required
- Excellent analytical skills, including facility with quantitative and qualitative data
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated capacity to build relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Experience assisting low-income clients and pro bono volunteers preferred, but not required
- Collaborative, has capacity to receive and act on feedback, able to play both leadership and team member roles
- Close attention to detail, organized, and able to manage multiple, simultaneous projects and deadlines
- Embraces technology, including leading-edge case management systems
- Recruit and retain volunteer attorneys in private practice to fulfill VIP’s mission:
- Actively recruit volunteer attorneys and efficiently match volunteers with clients, including maintaining volunteer records to identify volunteer prospects for new cases.
- Develop new sources of potential volunteers, while retaining current volunteer relationships.
- Actively strengthen partnerships with key stakeholders, including law firms, and participate in volunteer recognition efforts and events.
- Assist in planning, execution, and follow-up for volunteer clinics, trainings, and other events
Guide and support clients and volunteer attorneys throughout the life of the case:
- Interview new clients to gather necessary information and documents; assess the legal merit of cases, with attorney supervision; and develop client relationships.
- Develop client relationships and provide ongoing case management.
- Facilitate the volunteer-client relationship, and obtain case updates from attorneys.
- With attorney supervision, provide technical assistance to volunteer attorneys in case subjects, procedures, support services, and client interaction.
- Monitor cases for status reports, deadlines, and emergencies.
Manage a Legal Team strategic project:
- Administer a distinct project tied to VIP’s legal work, which will include developing a deeper knowledge of a particular legal issue.
- Improve the project’s structure, methods, and design, as necessary.
- Strategic projects include the Custody Advice-Only and Attorney Consultation Panels, Mortgage Foreclosure Diversion Program, Landlord/Tenant Eviction Defense, and Language Access, and generally make up about a quarter of the Pro Bono Case Manager’s workload.
Lead and support other efforts to further VIP’s mission and strategic goals:
- Help implement VIP’s strategic plan, including primary responsibility for designated task(s).
- Track metrics to meet goals and improve recruitment, retention, and case referrals.
- Develop and strengthen sources of “in-kind” case support services for volunteers, including interpreters and translators for language access
PHILADELPHIA VIP IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER