Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
3217 West Clearfield Street
Director of Post-Secondary Success
St. James School Graduate Support
The mission of the Graduate Support program is to provide St. James graduates with a network of academic, social emotional, spiritual, financial, and college-oriented support throughout their high school and post-secondary educational journey. The goal of Graduate Support is to ensure that students continue their educational advancement, fulfill their potential, and achieve productive roles in society.
It is our goal that all St. James graduates will pursue some kind of post-secondary education or training, whether that be at a four-year college, community college, or vocational/technical school.
The Director of Post-Secondary Success is a member of the Graduate Support team and reports directly to the Director of Graduate Support. They also work closely with the Director of High School Placement to manage a comprehensive program of support for all St. James School graduates and their families
The Director of Post-Secondary Success is responsible for shaping and guiding St. James School’s post-secondary programming. They are charged with helping all St. James graduates with life after high school graduation as described below.
- Operates and maintains the Huskies Hangout in a positive, welcoming, motivating and professional atmosphere
- Supports graduates through emergencies and unexpected occurrences
- Supervises weekly study halls
- Coordinates and communicates with Graduate Support tutors and mentors
- Manages monthly Graduate Support scholarship checks
- Assists graduates in finding summer work and enrichment opportunities
- Assists with organizing department-wide events for graduates and families in order to build and maintain relationships with St. James School
- Maintains database of graduate information including contact information, high school placement, post-secondary placement, and work placement
Specific Position Responsibilities
- Meets with 11th & 12th grade parents as a group and on an individual basis regarding the post-secondary placement process, including but not limited to: post-secondary options (4-year colleges, community colleges, trade & certificate programs) application process, standardized testing, financial aid and scholarships
- Plans and teaches post-secondary readiness workshops for St. James graduates during the summer after high school graduation
- Supports the graduates’ high school college counseling process by advocating for the specific needs of our graduates and helping identify appropriate post-secondary placements
- Collaborates with Director of Graduate Support to develop a personalized list of post-secondary options for each 12th grade student to apply to based on grades, interests, goals for the future
- Organizes Family College Information Nights to familiarize families and graduates with the college application process (in conjunction with Philly Futures) and post-secondary options
- Collaborates with Director of Graduate Support on SAT and ACT prep for 11th and 12th grade students
- Offers writing support for students who need assistance in writing personal statements and application essays
- Maintains application tracker with all upcoming deadlines for applications, test dates, financial aid, scholarships, interviews, etc.
- Arranges and accompanies high school students on college visits on days off from school
- Guides students and families through FAFSA and scholarship opportunities
- Cultivates relationships with local colleges and access organizations and serves as the point person for St. James School College Partners
- Communicates with college admissions departments about students and progress of applications
- Maintains and revises database of potential placement post-secondary institutions and gap year programs including AmeriCorps, City Year, Year Up (Peirce College)
Support of Post-secondary Graduates
- Checks in with each college student at least twice during first semester, and once each following semester or at a frequency that matches the current need.
- Ensures commuting students have means of transportation
- Develops and maintains a network of contacts at the Community College of Philadelphia
- Provides reminders of key college calendar events: final exams (care packages), registering for classes, completing FAFSA, on-campus housing deposits, etc.
- Ensures all graduates not enrolled as full-time students are engaged in or pursuing worthwhile employment or educational opportunities
- Additional school-wide responsibilities and staff coverages as assigned
- Awareness of and participation in post-secondary placement/access programs
- Excellent organizational, planning, implementation, and communication skills
- Ability to manage the ambiguity and multiple priorities inherent in an entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to set objectives and achieve goals
- Excellent written, communication and presentation skills
- Initiative; leadership and tenacity
- Detail oriented team player willing to roll up sleeves and get the job done
- Ability to work within a fast-paced, energetic, and dynamic environment
- Ability to be strategic and innovative with a new position
- Willingness to go above and beyond what is asked to complete a task or achieve a goal
St. James School admits students of any race, color, religion, nationality, gender, and ethnic origin to all privileges, programs and activities at the school. St. James School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, gender, or ethnic origin in the administration of its policies.
Level of Language Proficiency
4-year degree required, Master's degree preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Director of Graduate Support
Please note, St. James School will not accept phone inquiries and does not have time to respond to all email inquiries.