Director of Human Resources for K-8 Independent School for Highly Gifted Students
- Job posted by Mirman School, Los Angeles, CA
Details: Very competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Mirman School is seeking an experienced Director of Human Resources to join its administrative staff. The Director of Human Resources is a member of the Business Office and works with the CFO to lead, direct, and coordinate all human resources activities. The Director of HR is a member of the retirement plan review committee and the safety committee, supervises the Receptionist/Administrative Assistant, and collaborates with the Controller and Business Manager on HR payroll and benefits A/P. Additionally, this position follows directives of the Head of School. The Director of Human Resources will be responsible for the following areas:
Recruiting, New Hire Orientation, Onboarding and Training
- In conjunction with the Head of School and Division Heads, conduct faculty and staff recruiting according to best practices for the successful hiring of diverse and professional faculty and staff
- Manage job descriptions, job postings, interviews, employment reference checks, LiveScans
- Manage letters of offer as instructed by the Head of School
- Conduct orientation meetings with new hires to manage new hire papers, policy acknowledgments, I-9 forms, eVerify, and benefits enrollments
- Conduct effective new employee onboarding in collaboration with all Department Heads and supervisors over the first year of employment; insure cross-departmental onboarding
- Manage and track mandatory AB1825 harassment training, CPR and First Aid training, and other recommended independent school faculty and staff trainings
Policies, Legal Compliance and Audits
- Maintain and update the Personnel Manual and other written policies in collaboration with CFO, Division Heads, and outside legal counsel; stay informed of legal updates that should be incorporated into the Personnel Manual or other policies.
- Insure compliance with all local, state, and federal employment laws, wage and hour law, and all ordinances and regulations in all areas of HR
- Conduct FLSA audits, Equal Pay Practice audits, and other HR audits as needed
- Collaborate with the Head of School, CFO and Senior Administrators to manage annual employee performance review process
- Support Head of School, CFO and Supervisors to document employee performance issues and feedback; implement best risk management practices in terminations and status changes
- Maintain written documentation of performance issues, counseling and coaching
Compensation and Benefits
- In conjunction with the Head of School and CFO, manage new hire letters of offer and the annual letter of offer notifications to employees. Ensure appropriate compensation information is delivered to staff and faculty; track final approval and signatures on letters for each new contract year. Maintain salary and hourly rate information in personnel files.
- Work with CFO to maintain salary data
- Conduct benefits orientation meetings with new hires. Assist employees throughout the year with questions or changes. Work in conjunction with carrier representatives and brokers.
- Assume Plan Administrator responsibilities for all health benefits plans, Section 125 FSA, Life/Ltd/Std, and Employee Assistance Programs. Insure ERISA compliance.
- Manage Affordable Care Act compliance, recordkeeping and notices, in conjunction with payroll vendor.
- Distribute Summary Plan Descriptions and Summary of Benefits Coverage documents to employees in compliance with governmental regulations.
- Manage employee enrollments and qualifying event changes using online benefits portals for the carriers.
- Manage benefits payroll deductions in the Payroll/HRIS system.
- Manage COBRA enrollments in collaboration with the third party COBRA administrator.
- Review benefits invoices for accuracy and submit to accounting for payment. Conduct invoice audits as needed..
- Work with CFO on benefits budgets.
- Maintain benefits census data and liaise with insurance broker in the annual benefits renewal process.
- Initiate open enrollment periods and conduct open enrollment meetings.
- Participate as a member of the Investment Plan Review Committee.
- Possess knowledge and experience of the Fiduciary Requirements of 403(b) retirement plans, and manage all related fiduciary responsibilities assigned to HR.
- Manage employee Eligibility Determinations and Salary Deferral Agreement Enrollment Forms. Insure the timeliness of employee enrollments. Distribute SPDs and QDIA notices to employees, and work with consultants to insure distribution of additional compliance notices that the TPA is contractually required to distribute.
- Maintain updated plan documents, summary plan descriptions, plan amendments, third party agreements, reports, minutes and other records in coordination with CFO and TPA.
- Liaise with CFO, consultants, auditors, and TIAA on plan administration and recordkeeping, plan reviews, plan audits, regulatory compliance.
- Schedule Annual Education meetings to be presented by plan consultants.
- Work closely with the Controller to ensure all pay and benefits are accurately recorded in the payroll system.
Leave of Absence Management
- Manage and coordinate FMLA, CFRA, pregnancy leaves, ADA and other disability leaves, Workers Compensation, vacation and sick time.
- Insure compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Consult with legal counsel as needed.
- Collaborate with the CFO and insurance broker to maintain competitive Workers' Comp coverage.
- Manage work-related injuries and claims reporting; manage restrictions and return to work information.
- Participate on the Safety Committee on safety policies, safety meetings, regulatory compliance and inspections.
- Collaborate with and support Senior Administrators on employee relations, and provide training opportunities to managers.
- Manage employee conflict and create an open door policy for employee complaints.
- Partner with managers in creating clear policy guidance and follow-through for employee performance management and evaluations.
- Manage performance improvement plans, exit interviews, terminations, severance agreements, consulting with legal counsel on sensitive matters.
- Investigate and respond to all employee complaints in a timely manner, in compliance with California and US employment law and SFDS policies.
HRIS/Employee Information Management
- Manage all employee data in the payroll and benefits management systems.
- Manage all employee records and personnel files.
- Ensure all benefits and other pay deductions are accurate.
- Act as point of contact for all employees requesting vacation and sick time.
- Report and provide data/information for annual budgeting, benefits and financial audits.
- Work with CFO in gathering data for annual surveys (Cal-ISBOA, NAIS, etc.).
- Maintain personnel files and I-9 files for each employee.
Highly desirable benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, Life/STD/LTD and 403(b) retirement plan with employer matching.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Mirman School actively seeks to enhance diversity and inclusion, and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal and/or state law.