Start Small Think Big is a non-profit on a mission to catalyze entrepreneurship in marginalized communities. Founded ten years ago in New York City, we have successfully expanded our work to San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose. We are now in the midst of another period of rapid growth and expansion. We work to replicate our model nationally and grow existing programs to serve more significant numbers of entrepreneurs. As we scale our work, we engage in an intentional process to identify, understand, and address bias at all levels and advance equity, incredibly intersectional racial equity, from the inside out.
In order to connect small business owners with the strongest pro bono legal, financial and marketing support to transform their growing businesses, build wealth for themselves and their families, and create jobs for others in their communities, Start Small Think Big has:
- Partnered with the majority of the top 100 U.S. law firms, including Simpson Thacher, Weil Gotshal, Cleary Gottlieb, Debevoise & Plimpton.
- Partnered with some of the biggest and most well-respected financial and marketing corporations, including American Express, Morgan Stanley, Google, Goldman Sachs, Group Nine Media
- Secured significant support for our work from some of the largest and most forward-thinking foundations in the space, including Kauffman, JPMorgan Chase, Citi.
In 2020, Start Small supported 3500 businesses across our three tiers of programming. In 2021, we are working to build the infrastructure and programming to scale to serve tens of thousands of small businesses nationwide.
Start Small is seeking a talented and dynamic individual to assist in supporting, expanding and refining our Legal Program. The Legal Program Coordinator supports legal service delivery across the entirety of Start Small’s Legal Program to provide quality, equitable service to Start Small clients, volunteers, and partners.. This includes: coordinating service delivery among and between pro bono partners (e.g. law firms and corporate partners), volunteer attorneys, clients, and legal program staff, communicating directly with each stakeholder group. In addition, the Legal Program Coordinator collaborates with the Legal Program Manager to drive innovation and improvements in processes, reporting, and technology that allow clients and volunteers to seamlessly navigate through Start Small’s legal program.
Job Responsibilities shall include, but shall not be limited to:
- Coordinate weekly legal referral list(s) to Start Small partner law firms and community partners
- Coordinate pro bono volunteers’ legal service delivery across all service models
- Provide support & troubleshooting with clients and legal volunteers, centering the needs of our clients, on an ongoing basis
- Regularly coordinate with the Legal Program to constantly iterate improvements in logistics, operations and programming access for volunteers and clients
- Assist with logistics of legal event programming (maintaining events calendar, tracking registration and attendance, etc.)
- Establish rapport and build trust with a diverse population of stakeholders that includes clients, volunteers and partners
Program Reporting & Data Management:
- Serve as primary contact point for volunteers and clients working with organization and program specific tools and products; and, assist with coordinating client data capture, entry, and reporting in partnership with Legal Program and with respective Start Small Think Big teams (Technology, Client Relationship, Impact)
- Create and coordinate data based creation of materials for all Legal Program events and workshops, including collecting attendance
Outreach and client development.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Legal Program to maintain and grow legal relationships nationwide through consistent, ongoing communication with all participating and potential law firms and partners through emails, pro bono calls and/or meetings when appropriate
- This includes the following:
- Acknowledging/confirming all referrals and updating records as applicable
- Confirming all clinic appointments
- Gathering needed information as applicable for referrals of all types under the legal program
- Conduct informational sessions for prospective clients and community partners.
Assist with other program-related tasks and functions as needed.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills :
- Experience working as a paralegal at a non-profit organization or law firm is helpful.
- College degree and/or 2+ years of relevant experience in client service, customer service, program service, or project management.
- Spanish language fluency is strongly preferred.
- High level of technological proficiency, including familiarity with Google Apps, and MS Office, and reporting; experience with Salesforce or other CRM platforms is desired.
- A strong commitment to understanding the role of structural racism and other biases in our society and the potential impacts on our work within the context of this role
- A deep commitment to providing non-judgmental, culturally appropriate services across race, class, gender identity and expression, national origin, ability, or any other identity marker, with a strong sense of accountability to fostering a positive client experience.
- Strong relationship-building and communication skills, including the ability to work effectively across cultural differences as well as a demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning and self-reflection on one’s personal identity
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Ability to meet deadlines and juggle multiple tasks.
- Experience managing virtual events is a plus.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and creativity, with a “can do!” attitude - comfort within a rapidly growing organization.