Digital Communications Associate
Details: Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
131 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge, MA
The Barbara Lee Family Foundation and Barbara Lee Political Office seek a full-time Digital Communications Associate to steer digital strategy and grow our reach across platforms. The Digital Communications Associate develops and implements digital strategy; designs and promotes web content; and provide daily hands-on management of social media activities for the organizations. This position reports to the Communications Director.
You’re passionate about marketing; a numbers geek who is always seeking to grow the following of your organization and stay three steps ahead of the curve. Our ideal candidate has at least five years experience running digital strategy and campaigns. Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram targeting, email marketing strategy and growth, SEO, and website management are a must. You thrive on a busy environment and stay calm under pressure. You work to build positive, respectful relationships with partners and peers, and work well in a collaborative team environment. Candidates should have exceptional research and writing skills, experience in project management, a demonstrated interest in women’s political participation, and a passion for mission driven work. Supervisory experience is a plus.
The Barbara Lee Family Foundation’s nonpartisan research on women running for executive office has been used by politicians, press, and practitioners for nearly two decades to understand the obstacles and opportunities for women running for office. Our expertise on women in politics has been featured in national press outlets from the New York Times to Glamour, Politico, and MSNBC.
The Barbara Lee Political Office is a leading resource for progressive women candidates. BLPO advances women’s equality in American politics by recruiting, electing, and supporting progressive, pro-choice women candidates and building a pipeline of Democratic women Governors and U.S. Senators.
The Lee Family Office (LFO) manages administrative functions for Barbara Lee and provides staffing for the Barbara Lee Political Office (BLPO) and the Barbara Lee Family Foundation (BLFF).
Barbara Lee has been named one of Boston’s most influential thought leaders by Boston Magazine, and her reach is nationwide. Barbara Lee has helped elect 146 women in 32 states, including every sitting Democratic woman Governor and U.S. Senator.
Web and Social Media
- Conceptualize digital goals, strategies, and tactics in annual communications plan
- Provide direct, daily, hands-on content management to all digital channels, including multiple Twitter handles, Barbaraleefoundation.org, BarbaraLee.com, two Facebook pages, and additional accounts for key staff
- Perform bi-weekly website audits and updates
- Identify online advertising opportunities and manage ad buys; track and analyze ad performance
- Evaluate existing websites and social media channels, create plan for improvements, and implement changes in collaboration with the Communications Director
- Expand the organization’s use of video including Facebook Live, Instagram stories, and produced content
- Consistently research, identify, and implement relevant new technologies, social networks, tools, digital marketing strategies, and best practices
- Actively grow followers for organizational social accounts
- Develop and manage ad campaigns for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Ensure content is being delivered to audiences at highest quality across all platforms
Writing and Content Development
- Write and repurpose content for websites, social media channels, and shareable content for Twitter and Facebook
- Draft e-mails for BLFF, BLPO, and principal’s fundraising, including creating copy and testing
- Analyze email blast performance and make recommendations based on findings
- Produce graphics for advertisements
- Edit and format special writing projects, as assigned
- Produce, format, and promote public webinars on BLFF research and related projects
- Proactively seek out effective tools to enhance online engagement
- Strategize ways to grow readership and viewership of digital platforms
- Identify opportunities for Principal, Executive Director, and/or Communications Director’s participation in webinars, Google hangouts, Twitter Town Hall conversations, and other events in the digital space; participate on behalf of organization(s) when appropriate
Planning and Administration
- Identify key performance indicators (KPI) for digital work
- Track and prepare monthly analytics reports using tools such as Google Analytics and Sprout Social to analyze performance of online channels and make recommendations for growth based on insights
- Maintain editorial calendars for the web, social media, and email campaigns
- Proactively update Communications Director on pitching opportunities based on social media dialogue
- Manage external vendors, including web design, maintenance, and optimization; video production; and graphic design
- Maintain Communications meeting agendas, monthly reports, and media tracker
- Attend conferences and events, as needed
- Work Experience. 5+ years of professional experience preferably at a related mission driven organization or agency. Proven experience growing the digital reach of a client or organization. Experience building digital media plans – Facilitating the planning process from start to finish, including development, pricing, creative specs, supporting documentation, and final reporting.
- Creative, Strategic Thinking. Strong critical and strategic thinking abilities and attention to detail are required. Flexibility to juggle and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and proven ability to think on your feet.
- Excellent Writing and Presentation Skills. In depth experience and proven ability to distill complex concepts into clear and impactful points both written and orally. A deep understanding of analyzing and assessing complex and multi-tiered projects.
- People Skills. Experience working for a dynamic principal strongly preferred. Having a clear understanding of protocol, a high sense of integrity and discretion is absolute. Being a team player with a positive mindset who is a conscious collaborator and can remain calm under pressure.
- Commitment to Mission-driven Work. An interest in women’s political participation and advancement is preferred. Willingness to travel and flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends for related events.
Annual bonus, employer-paid Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability, Summer Fridays, Vacation, Personal, and Sick Time, Office closed Christmas-New Year's, a fun, collaborative, work environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Lee Family Office is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion and candidates from underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment.
Send cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and reference list to:
Director of Operations
Lee Family Office
131 Mt. Auburn St., Suite 3
Cambridge, MA 02138