District of Columbia
American Bird Conservancy
Bird-Smart Wind Campaign Director
Title: Bird-Smart Wind Campaign Director
Supervisor: Vice President for Advocacy
Location: Washington, DC
Application Submission Deadline- April 10, 2018
The Director, Bird-Smart Wind Energy Campaign leads ABC's work to minimize the impact to birds caused by the development of wind power and associated electrical transmission lines and towers. The Director works in close collaboration with other ABC program staff and with supervision from Vice President for Advocacy.
Using communication, advocacy and (if necessary) legal tools, the work will focus on establishing mitigation requirements and regulations to protect birds at wind energy facilities; addressing the most poorly sited wind projects; educating key decision makers and the public; and engaging industry representatives to protect threatened and endangered species, eagles, and other federally-protected birds.
The position requires excellent advocacy and communication experience, strong writing skills, and a broad knowledge of renewable energy development and bird collisions.
- Develop and implement communication and policy initiatives: Work with ABC staff, NGO partners, and other leaders to identify, develop, and implement a high-profile national campaign to minimize the impact of wind turbines on birds. Develop strategies, partnerships, and agency liaisons to address the issue.
- Advocate for and develop necessary messaging and materials for bird smart wind policies, including influencing federal legislation and regulations, advancing mitigation policies, and meeting with industry representatives to find solutions to the threat of collisions.
- Identify and stop the most damaging wind projects to birds using communications, advocacy, legal, and other tools that are available.
- Partnerships and Coalition Building: Represent ABC's work with other institutions, government, and conservation organizations to advance the campaign. Work with, mentor, and assist partners in support of the campaign. Maintain excellent communication with ABC staff about activities and finances, and produce articles for publicity and website.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in communications or political science, or a related field with knowledge of conservation and management needs of birds, or equivalent experience. Creativity and demonstrated leadership skills required.
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects, produce effective results. Entrepreneurial spirit.
• Proven ability to meet deadlines. Ability to find solutions and demonstrate tenacity for difficult or long-term projects.
• Previous experience building partnerships and working collaboratively with other organizations.
• An outgoing, positive, persuasive manner and predisposition for collaboration, but with ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Knowledge of birds preferred.
• Excellent writing, presentation, and organizational skills.
• Willing and able to travel frequently.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please follow the link to apply online at BambooHR: https://abcbirds.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=20
If you have trouble with the site, please send your cover letter and resume as ONE document to HR@abcbirds.org