Develop Detroit (DDI) is a dynamic nonprofit real estate and housing developer working at scale to address the challenges around affordable housing, neighborhood stability and access to jobs. Currently operating in key Detroit neighborhoods, our primary focus is on creating affordable, mixed income and mixed-use developments that help stabilize and transform neighborhoods. DDI builds high-quality housing and developments that provide all Detroiters – no matter their income – the ability to afford active lifestyles and to have improved access to economic opportunity.
The Grants Manager will support strategies and activities focused on philanthropic fundraising. DDI relies on earned income from its 700 unit / $200M real estate development portfolio to sustain the organization. However, there are a number of predominately mission-centric activities and strategies that DDI pursues for which philanthropic partnerships are vital. The DDI mission-centric activities are an essential element of our overall community efforts and help to ensure equitable development and impact. Reporting directly to the CEO, the Grants Manager is an integral part of a development team and is responsible for the management of all grant activities.
This position requires a genuine commitment to the mission of building and preserving quality housing and transforming communities, and the ability to partner effectively with a range of key stakeholders. Additionally, Develop Detroit is a start-up environment, so strong candidates will have demonstrated ability to operate in very fluid, fast-moving and lean organizations and a willingness to lead teams into new challenges.
· Report directly to the CEO and work closely with the CFO, staff and board to develop and execute a plan to achieve ongoing DDI philanthropic needs.
· Serve as liaison to foundations and corporate prospects and funders; lead the development and oversee the implementation of strategies for outreach, solicitation, compliance and stewardship of all prospects and donors.
· Prospect all potential funding sources including corporate, foundation and individual donors - ensuring that there is a growing pipeline of prospects for support through research, engagement with board members and friends of the organization.
· Conduct research for grant proposals and lead the grant and report writing process.
· Work closely with program staff to create proposals for enterprise and project grants.
· Manage the entire grant process from pre-award through post-award.
· Maintain proper grant records; manage reporting deadlines by coordinating with appropriate staff and funders.
· Oversee creation and distribution of quarterly and annual impact reports to key philanthropic, community and governmental stakeholders.
· Identify new partners and creative ways for the organization to increase its impact while maintaining a focus on the mission; collaborate closely with internal real estate development team to identify and pursue community partnerships that deepen and extend the DDI mission.
· Participate in advocacy and policy matters related to the organizational mission.
Requires superior judgment, creativity, tenacity, flexibility, impeccable attention-to-detail, and an exceptional ability to cultivate and steward long term relationships with donors and partners. The Grants Manager must also be extremely well organized and have the ability to develop new systems and approaches. Additional qualifications include:
· Bachelor's degree in a related field and a minimum of three years' experience in a not-for-profit or academic development/grant management position.
· Minimum of 3 years of grant writing experience.
· Excellent communications and writing skills with proven ability to develop high quality proposals, compliance reports, donor and investor correspondence, and other fundraising materials.
· Demonstrated organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple tasks and details simultaneously.
· An entrepreneurial spirit and a collaborative nature, with an ability to plan and work independently while working effectively as part of a team.
· Ability to deal with abstract as well as concrete concepts, problematic people and situations.
· Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
· Experience in database management and familiarity with fundraising software options.
· Clear commitment to Develop Detroit and its mission and vision for inclusive, quality housing and successful community development
· Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Please submit a cover letter and resume here.
Develop Detroit (DDI) is a dynamic nonprofit real estate and housing developer working at scale to address the challenges around affordable housing, neighborhood stability and access to jobs. Currently operating in key…