4601 Forbes Boulevard
Title: Accounting Assistant
Exemption Status: Professional Exempt - Salary
Location: Lanham Office
Reports To: Director of Finance (DOF)
Direct Supervisory responsibilities: No
The Mission: The Disabled Veterans National Foundation was founded in 2007 to provide assistance to veterans and their families. DVNF provides direct assistance and also collaborates with like-minded organizations in providing services to disabled and in-need veterans and their families. DVNF pays particular attention to underserved veterans, including disabled veterans, women veterans, homeless veterans, and those who suffer invisible wounds such as brain injuries and PTSD. Working on our own and with other organizations, we strive to advance the interests and wellbeing of in-need veterans and their families.
Summary: The Accounting Assistant’s primary responsibility is to analyze financial data in order to prepare financial reports, generate and interpret financial records and statements for management, maintain records of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, and other financial activities within the organization.
· Assist in the development and implementation of financial controls.
· Assist in the preparation and finalization of monthly and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for the board of directors.
· Ensure timely, accurate, and useful financial and management reporting for federal, state, local, and private funders and the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
· Understand the full accounting cycle.
· Review invoices, code invoices, and enter into the accounting system.
· Reconcile accounts in the General Ledger.
· Reconcile and code credit card charges.
· Ensure that effective internal controls are in place and ensure compliance with GAAP and applicable federal, state, and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting.
· Providing up-to-date expertise on non-profit best fiscal practices and state and federal law regarding non-profit financial operations.
· Communicate relevant issues to auditors in a timely manner.
· Coordinate timing and scope of annual audit alongside the Director of Finance.
· Possible travel to quarterly board meetings.
· Assist the DOF with all accounting needs.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting or an equivalent.
· Strong Accounting background including understanding of Cost Accounting.
· Knowledgeable working with budgets and comparing actual results to budgets.
· Ability to learn accounting software quickly.
· Some experience with Sage 50.
· Strong Office 365 skills and computer skills
· Demonstrated leadership ability, team player, and interpersonal skills.
· Must be an individual with attention to detail and strong work ethic.
· Must be very well organized.
Full benefits package
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to Ms. Leander Brereton at firstname.lastname@example.org