Details: This position will be paid a rate of $15/hour.
92-10 Roosevelt Avenue
Make the Road New York (MRNY) is hiring a part time (20 hours a week) administrative assistant to work with MRNY’s health team. The Health Administrative Assistant will be based out of our Queens office.
Make the Road New York (MRNY) builds the power of Latino and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. Make the Road New York operates neighborhood-based community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island; and Brentwood, Long Island. With a membership of 23,000 low-income New Yorkers, MRNY tackles the critical issues facing our community: workplace justice, tenants’ rights, immigrant civil rights, language-access, LGBTQ justice, public education, health care access, and immigration reform.
MRNY is a multi-service organization. Our Education Department offers ESOL, Citizenship preparation, and computer literacy, and in-school and after-school youth programs. Our Community Organizing Projects help New Yorkers to implement strategies to combat shared problems, and develop leadership and the capacity for civic participation. And our Departments of Legal, Health & Support Services provides direct legal representation, case management, and facilitated enrollment into public health insurance programs, training, and strategic support for members and organizing campaigns. Our attorneys and advocates specialize in labor and employment law, public benefits, disability benefits, housing law, healthcare and health insurance access, immigration, public education, domestic violence, and TGNCIQ civil rights issues.
HEALTH DEPARTMENT AT MAKE THE ROAD NEW YORK
MRNY’s health department promotes the health and well-being of our community members. They advocate for improved access to healthcare for immigrants and provide health services to community members. The health department combines one-on-one assistance, helping individuals and families navigate the health system and apply for health insurance; operates two food pantries; engages the community in an innovative urban gardening project, and creates a safe space where TGNCIQ community members can obtain necessary heath information. MRNY’s health department also runs a promotora program, training community members to do outreach and screening for food stamps (SNAP) and health insurance benefits and refers eligible families to apply. The health department also runs a community health worker (CHW) training program and has several projects where CHWs do home visits with families who have asthma. The health team also leads campaigns at the city and state level to increase access to care and coverage for immigrants in New York.
The Health Administrative Assistant will work primarily with our SNAP (food stamps) team and will:
· Enter SNAP cases into MRNY’s internal database, salesforce
· Enter SNAP cases into other databases required by funders
· Enter notes and updates to cases in all necessary databases
· Follow up with clients to ensure they are receiving their benefits and enter outcomes into the databases
· Refer and track clients from the SNAP team to health insurance enrollers
· Attend all necessary team and department meetings
· Help ensure that the team is meeting their goals and send regular updates on the status of deliverables to the team
- Strong computer skills (web-based database, word processing, Excel, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a must
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high-energy environment
- High level of accountability and initiative; needs to be a self-started and eager to do team work to support the organization as a whole
- Ability to work under pressure during deadlines
- Flexible work schedule, some evenings or weekends required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to Social Justice
- Experience working with databases
- Experience working in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic work environment
- A commitment to collective action and community organizing
Persons of color, persons with disabilities, and gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and queer individuals are encouraged to apply. Make the Road is an equal opportunity employer.
MRNY offers an excellent benefit package including health insurance, 401K, and generous paid vacation, sick, personal days and paid maternity / paternity leave.
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Forward a cover letter and resume to by email to Becca Telzak at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Application for Health Administrative Assistant” in the subject line, attach cover letter/resume AND include both in the body of the email. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.