Details: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
100 Maryland Avenue
District of Columbia
The Elementary Programs Director at Horton’s Kids (“HK”) assesses, implements, and evaluates all academic and youth development programs for children in grades K-7 at Horton’s Kids. The individual will work in partnership with the Deputy Director, Secondary Programs Sr. Manager, and Community Center & Outreach Director.
This role requires a combination of focus and flexibility, with the ability to think both innovatively and strategically about our work. This role works closely with the Deputy Director and requires a resourceful, self-starter with strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation, attention to detail, and analytical skills.
This full-time, exempt position reports to Deputy Director and encompasses three primary accountabilities:
1. Program Management and Implementation
I. Manages the program delivery and direct impact of programming for grades K-7
a. Oversee, deliver, and train staff and volunteers on elementary/middle school curriculum and interventions for tutoring program
b. Lead annual enrollment process and monitors program enrollment for K-7 programs
c. Serve as resource to staff on best practice on elementary/middle school literacy interventions and support
d. Cultivate ongoing relationships with schools, immediate community members, community partners and organizations to enhance the development of Horton’s Kids programming
e. Lead PreK-7th grade school advocacy and school enrollment initiatives
II. Coordinate initiatives for elementary education interventions and health supports
a. Manage programmatic integration and administration of social emotional learning practices within programs
b. Lead summer program planning processes and program implementation
c. Provide direct serve support within evening, weekend, and summer programs to facilitate, observe and provide feedback on program quality
III. Work closely with other directors to coordinate strategic initiative planning, rollout, implementation, and observation for programs.
a. Coordinate with Deputy Director on grant requirements, outcomes, and other initiatives that impact programs, including staff roles and training at events
b. Meet with program staff and directors to help support programmatic planning
c. Assist in the development of systems for ongoing management of initiatives
2. Staff Management
I. Directly manage the following positions:
a. Elementary Education Manager
b. Elementary Youth Development Manager
c. Elementary Program Associate
II. Provide leadership to direct reports to support their personal and professional well-being and development
III. Support the development and management of staff through regular check-ins and annual performance evaluations
IV. Leads departmental accountability to achieve outcomes and departmental goals
3. Data & Evaluation
I. Ability to administer interim literacy and programmatic assessments to measure effectiveness and program quality.
II. Coordinate with directors to monitor academic and youth development goals and outcomes through regular assessment, observation, and feedback
III. Work collaboratively to support programmatic goal setting and research questions to facilitate the effectiveness of programming
Critical core competencies for successful performance in this role are:
· Highly-developed communications skills (written/verbal) and interpersonal savvy
· Results/action-orientated; program and project management experience
· Organizational and political agility; developed negotiation and diplomacy skills
· Unquestionable personal code of ethics, integrity, diversity, and trust
· Able to successfully navigate within varying degrees of ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
· Strong strategic/financial analysis skills
This role provides privileged access to the inner workings of HKids and to highly sensitive information. The successful candidate will be discrete, high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, candid communicator, highly organized and committed to the vision and values of HKids. In addition, the following standards will generally define the successful incumbent:
· Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree preferred.
· Minimum of 3-5 years of direct teaching experience with a focus on elementary and middle school.
· Minimum of 3-5 years of experience supervising a diverse team.
· Mission-driven; passionate about Horton's Kids' and the work we do.
· Knowledge of Positive Youth Development, Youth Engagement, and Social Emotional Learning.
· Demonstrated success developing, implementing, and evaluating intervention program models.
· Demonstrated experience with similar populations in urban communities.
· Proficient in using technology as a management-reporting tool in order to assess program quality and effectiveness.
Horton’s Kids offers a generous benefits package including vacation, summer break, holiday breaks, sick time, parental leave, flexible hours and telework options, employer-matched retirement, mobile phone allowance, employer-paid health benefits, and more.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required