Position: Associate, College Success
Reports to: Assistant Director of College Success
Status: Full-time Exempt
Start Date: October 2021
The Opportunity Network (OppNet) is seeking an exceptional Associate for our College Success Program. The College Success Associate will work in close collaboration with the Assistant Director of College Success to deliver programming and provide in-person/virtual support that helps OppNet’s College Fellows thrive on campus. This entry-level role is responsible for program assistance and administrative aspects of programming. This role is an opportunity to do handson college success work, collaborate with a passionate and committed team of colleagues, and grow at a studentcentered nonprofit organization.
Since 2003, The Opportunity Network (OppNet) has ignited the drive, curiosity, and agency of underrepresented students on their paths to and through college and into thriving careers, powered by our commitment to access and community.
This year, OppNet will reach more than 10,000 students of color across the nation to support them in achieving their college and career goals.
- OppNet’s founding Fellows program works with 1,000+ students over the course of six years, from 11th grade through to college graduation, to provide college guidance, five summers of paid internships, career exposure and skills-training, and support in growing personal and professional networks.
- OppNet’s Career Fluency® Partnerships Program works with 35+ schools and youth-serving nonprofits across 20+ cities to build their capacity to amplify college and career outcomes for their own students.
- Through Opportunity Ignited we provide advisory services to corporations seeking to embed values of diversity, equity, and inclusion in their businesses.
- UninterruptED, launched in 2020, is OppNet’s free, open-access learning portal for students and educators offering flexible courses spanning our proprietary Career Fluency® curriculum.
The ideal candidate will personally connect to the important work we do and value diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) across the organization. The candidate will demonstrate DE&I values by actively participating in all organizational-wide learning sessions and self-reflection as well as working with others to enact changes that contribute to meeting the organization’s DE&I goals. The candidate should possess outstanding professionalism and discretion, organization and attention to detail, energy and initiative, the ability to prioritize and complete a variety of tasks on time, and a willingness to work on a wide range of assignments.
College Success Check-Ins – 40%
- Conduct 1:1 and group check-in meetings, and campus visits with approximately 45 college-level OppNet Fellows throughout the fall and spring semesters
- Manage scheduling, travel, and communication with Fellows for the check-in process
- Gather Fellows’ input to help enhance structure and content for in-person check-in meetings
- Provide coaching and counseling to support college Fellows in areas such as choosing a major, career exploration, course selection, striving for overall personal wellness, and utilizing campus resources
- Follow up with College Fellows and relevant resources to manage issues College Fellows are facing on campus, e.g., academic challenges, socio-emotional challenges, adjusting to college life, connecting with professors, etc.
- Conduct research to identify programmatic additions to reinforce the education-to-career connection
Program Management – 35%
Student Outreach and Relationship Management
- Work with the College Guidance and Transition team to ensure seamless transfer of relationships from the first year to the second year of college
- Collaborate with the Assistant Director of College Success, and the OppNet Fellows program team, to design and deliver student-centered and student-driven, high quality and high impact events, e.g., winter conference, spring series, summer series, etc.
- Assist with communication to college Fellows - e.g., eNews, newsletters, text messaging platform, etc.
- Support the Assistant Director of College Success and the College Guidance and Transition team with creating and managing new and existing relationships with student affairs professionals on college campuses
- Become proficient in existing outcomes measurement tools, including surveys, rubrics, and OppNet’s proprietary Career Fluency® Competency Model
- Generate quarterly dashboards and reports to show progress and demonstrate outcomes
- Assist with data collection on annual Alumni survey and research on Alumni updates
- Enter data in the Salesforce CRM from check-in meetings with Fellows
- Coordinate with other staff members regarding data entry and any necessary follow up outside of caseload
Overall Program Assistance – 25%
- Participate in Career Fluency® facilitation training
- Facilitate Career Fluency® workshops across the Fellows program in order build rapport with Fellows
- Facilitate annual intensive programming and special events as required, e.g., Summer Institute, College Application Boot Camp, and College Transition Boot Camp, Speed Networking, Career Fluency® panels
- Lead recruitment visits/information sessions at area high schools and interview prospective Fellows
- Draft facilitator’s guide and facilitate events and workshops for OppNet’s alumni
- B.A. from a U.S. accredited college/university;
- Two to three years of youth development and/or career development experience;
- Demonstrated skill set in project management, including:
- ability to keep a project moving toward successful completion
- awareness of budget parameters
- ability to set and meet deadlines
- understands how metrics and competencies are connected to various projects
- effective cross-departmental communication
- outstanding organizational skills
- creative and critical problem-solving skills
- Superb written and oral communication skills;
- Availability and willingness to work select evenings and some weekends;
- Ability to travel to college campuses throughout the country and has a valid driver’s license;
- Demonstrated ability to connect with college-level students from historically underserved and underrepresented communities; can help facilitate interactive workshops in rigorous but dynamic fashion; understands how to be both nurturing and demanding; appreciates boundaries, but not afraid to push or challenge;
- Knowledge of how higher education student services/affairs support college students a plus
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for OppNet’s values and mission
Commensurate with experience, plus top-of-the-line medical benefits and vacation policy, 401K, accruable comp time and a great work environment.
Please submit a resume and cover letter, outlining how your credentials relate specifically to the responsibilities and qualifications listed above, salary requirements, and earliest available start date to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Associate College Success October 2021” in the subject line.
The Opportunity Network is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an open and diverse workplace. People of color, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.