ChangeLab Solutions seeks a Chief of Staff to work closely with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to establish and execute the CEO’s agenda, strategic priorities, and functions of the Executive Department. ChangeLab Solutions is currently a staff of approximately 55 and is on a growth trajectory. We are building out the Executive Department to support our need to increase board engagement, develop new partnerships, expand our organization’s national presence and visibility, and advance other strategic projects. The Chief of Staff is a new position that will join the CEO and two other positions we are recruiting for — Vice President of External Affairs and Executive Assistant — as the four members of the department.
The Chief of Staff works in close partnership with the Executive Leadership Team (ELT), the Board of Directors, and the Executive Assistant to support the CEO in advancing the missions and goals of the Executive and our organization. The Chief of Staff serves as a convener, thought partner, and implementer by managing projects, schedules, and initiatives of the Executive Department; providing consultation and triage of issues; internal communication; organizational planning and accountability processes; and executing special projects. The Chief of Staff supervises the Executive Assistant.
You are a good fit for the Chief of Staff role at ChangeLab Solutions if . . .
- You thrive as a vital contributor to a vibrant team of highly skilled professionals who are dedicated to advancing health equity.
- Collaboration is your calling card, and establishing and maintaining effective working partnerships is one of your superpowers.
- You are equally comfortable giving your opinion, brainstorming, and listening with attention to input from others.
- You enjoy mapping out and implementing plans and processes.
- You move quickly to the heart of the matter to get things done, yet take into account the humans who are doing the work.
- Your excellent analytical skills are balanced with impeccable judgment and emotional intelligence.
- You nimbly toggle between seeing the big picture and attending to details.
About ChangeLab Solutions
Our mission is to create healthier communities for all through equitable laws and policies.
ChangeLab Solutions is a nonpartisan nonprofit organization that uses the tools of law and policy to advance health equity. We partner with communities across the nation to improve health and opportunity by changing harmful laws, policies, and systems. Our interdisciplinary team works with community organizations, governments, and local institutions to design and implement equitable and practical policy solutions to complex health challenges. For more information on our organization and our work, see www.changelabsolutions.org.
The successful candidate will embody our organization’s core values:
- JUSTICE: We believe that all people have the right to health, justice, dignity, and opportunity. We work to dismantle oppressive and racist systems, laws, and policies and replace them with laws and policies that address the root causes of health inequities.
- LEARNING: We are always learning. We take risks, reflecting on our failures and our successes in order to strengthen our health equity work.
- COLLABORATION: We believe that complex problems are best solved through partnerships across multiple disciplines and sectors that maximize collective resources and align actions to advance health equity.
- COMMUNITY: We learn from those we work with, and we respect lived experience. We acknowledge that our lives, histories, and futures are interconnected, yet not all voices have been equally heard or valued—which is a barrier to health and equity.
- INTEGRITY: Our solutions in service of health and equity are grounded in evidence, legal precedent, and community-led change efforts.
ChangeLab Solutions is committed to centering equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) in our organizational culture, norms, practices, and policies. As an organization, we are committing time and resources to build our internal capacity and stay accountable for doing this work. As a staff, we are engaging in trainings and collective EDI work. We are eager to hire applicants who are personally dedicated to EDI and who are excited to join an organization where this work is part of the employee experience.
ChangeLab Solutions has a strong commitment to building a staff that is rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity. Candidates who can contribute to this goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths and experiences in this area.
External Relationship Management
The Chief of Staff supports the CEO in managing external relationships and engagement opportunities for purposes of partnership cultivation and management, business development, and raising our organization’s profile in support of its goals and priorities.
- Support preparation, delivery, and follow-up for external engagements, including board member, funder, and partner meetings; speaking engagements and conferences; and committees
- Coordinate requests for speaking engagements and presentations, correspondence, and other matters on behalf of the CEO
- At the request of the CEO, convene and facilitate meetings between staff and external stakeholders, as well as meetings with staff to prepare for external engagements
- Work with the Executive Assistant to strategically manage the CEO’s time and prepare for engagements
Internal Relationship and Project Management
The Chief of Staff supports the CEO in carrying out their agenda and strategic priorities by supporting internal relationship management, communication flow, and project management.
- Supervise the Executive Assistant to support internal and external management of the CEO’s priorities, time, workflows and projects
- Serve as the project manager or key team member for
- Special projects of strategic importance to the CEO and/or the ELT
- Workflows and processes in service of Executive Department operations
- Draft memos, reports, action plans, and internal communications on behalf of the CEO, performing research, internal data gathering, and analysis as necessary
- Facilitate contributions from cross-departmental staff and external stakeholders to support recommendations and action plans
- Convene and facilitate ELT meetings
- At the request of the CEO, represent the CEO at internal meetings with staff
- Proactively identify and triage issues and manage needs that could affect successful execution of the CEO’s agenda and organizational priorities
- Model commitment to ChangeLab Solutions’ mission and values
Organizational Strategic and Annual Planning
The Chief of Staff works closely with the CEO and members of the ELT to facilitate strategic and annual planning processes for our organization.
- Support the CEO and the ELT in five-year strategic and annual planning, including
- Facilitating the annual planning process
- Coordinating with the CFO to align the annual planning and budgeting processes
- Owning the Executive Department’s annual plan
- Collaborate with the ELT, Executive Assistant, Board of Directors, and broader staff to determine, refine, and prioritize strategies, activities, and goals
- Partner with the CEO, Executive Assistant, and ELT to develop, track, and report on CEO and organizational performance measures, including dashboard management and quarterly reporting on CEO performance measures to the Board
Board of Directors Infrastructure Management
Manage the Executive Assistant to help accomplish the following tasks:
- Prepare board agendas, packets, meeting minutes, and other materials for full-board and committee meetings
- Handle all board meeting logistics, travel, and other meeting preparation
- Maintain board administrative processes, including record keeping
- Track and manage follow-up on action items and next steps from committee and full-board meetings
Support the CEO and Executive Assistant to liaison with the Board of Directors:
- Staff and support board committees
- Serve as the expert on board governance matters, including the following responsibilities:
- Ensure compliance with regulations and best practices in record keeping and knowledge management
- Assist board members with adherence to all bylaws related to board and committee matters
- Manage board-related processes, projects, and special initiatives, including the board’s annual plan
- Maintain discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all board and ELT members
Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
- Minimum of seven years of progressively responsible relevant experience, with a proven track record of accomplishment in coordinating and leading collaborative efforts, including project or program management, change management, strategic planning and implementation, and executive office operations
- Minimum of two years’ management experience, including management of people, projects, and budgets; four years preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills, including planning; delegating; leading with a customer service orientation; and managing multiple projects and priorities
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word and email, with the capacity to learn and master new systems
- Ability to research, analyze, and compile large amounts of data and then synthesize the information in effective reports
Required Personal Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills, to build and maintain internal and external relationships and to build credibility as a trusted partner with colleagues, partners, clients, funders, and stakeholders
- Strong problem-solving mentality, with the capacity to make clear-headed decisions while under pressure
- Open, motivating, collaborative, and approachable working style and demeanor
- Flexible and adaptable, with the ability to prioritize and multi-task when necessary
- Talent for nimble management, with the capacity to operate and create structure in a dynamic, rapidly evolving organization
- Transparent and high-integrity leadership
- Cultural humility and a deep commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Ability to communicate via phone, email, and video conference
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift and carry 20 pounds and manage luggage during travel
- For someone located outside the San Francisco Bay Area, ability to travel to the Bay Area two to six times per year and ability to work Pacific or Central Time to align with the CEO’s working hours
Work Location and Expectations
This position can be performed remotely and is open to applicants throughout the United States who are able to work Pacific or Central Time hours to align with the CEO’s working hours. All applicants should be comfortable with working from home and with virtual connection programs and practices.
After adjusting to working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic, ChangeLab Solutions has shifted to a virtual-first hybrid workplace that supports options for in-person and remote work. Staff members who are local to the San Francisco Bay Area have the option to work from home or in our office in Oakland, California. Staff members beyond the Bay Area work remotely. Business travel and in-person work are currently limited and will evolve in accordance with safety considerations, state and local guidelines, and organizational circumstances.
When it is safe, Bay Area staff and staff outside the Bay Area will be expected to travel to the Oakland office periodically for meetings and in-person engagement. Advance notice will be given before in-person work is requested. ChangeLab Solutions covers travel costs for staff outside the Bay Area.
ChangeLab Solutions is committed to offering a competitive compensation package that centers our values; our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion; and our mission. We seek to attract, motivate, and retain staff by compensating team members in a way that values their contributions to our organization and puts them in the best position to thrive.
In 2022, ChangeLab Solutions implemented a compensation plan with a compensation philosophy and salary structure that establish pay ranges for each position and guide compensation decisions. The plan is shared with all ChangeLab staff.
- Full-time, exempt position; starting salary range of $92,500 to $106,250 per year
- Starting salaries are set in accordance with our compensation plan, which considers multiple individual and organizational factors, including internal equity. To uphold pay equity in alignment with the compensation plan, starting salaries are not negotiable. Before applying, please ensure that the compensation for this position meets your needs.
To support the well-being of our staff and their families, ChangeLab Solutions invests in a generous benefits program and in supports for work-life balance. Our benefit offerings include the following:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage (ChangeLab Solutions contributes 100% of employee premiums and 50% for dependent premiums)
- Long-term disability insurance and life insurance
- 403(b) plan with 3% employer contribution
- Commuter benefits and flexible spending accounts (parking, transit, dependent care, health care)
- Generous paid time off package, starting at roughly 4.5 weeks PTO annually, plus 11 holidays and weeklong closure in December
- Reimbursements to support remote and hybrid work
- Fiscally stable organization
- Work with an interdisciplinary team that is committed to a shared mission and to building a community and culture of connection and inclusivity
Application and Hiring Process
How to Apply
- The preferred application deadline is August 14, 2022. We will begin application review the week of August 15.
Target Start Date
- We expect that the hiring process will include a 30-minute phone interview, 1-2 rounds of video interviews with a panel of ChangeLab Solutions staff members via Zoom, and one work exercise.
- If you require accommodations during the interview process or work exercise, please share your request when your interview is scheduled.