2040 North Milwaukee Avenue
In These Times Magazine is hiring a Publishing Assistant to join the team at our Chicago office. We’re a fast-growing, nonprofit, progressive, monthly political magazine committed to covering electoral politics and movements for racial, social, economic and environmental justice. The ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about social change and progressive media, with an interest in the future of print and online publishing but who has an eye for detail and organization.
POSITION SCOPE AND IMPACT
The Publishing Assistant reports directly to the Executive Publisher and is responsible for assisting with the administrative aspects of the publishing and circulation programs, including marketing, online fundraising and customer service. This position is also responsible for a number of day-to-day administrative activities, including basic accounting and office management.
ABOUT IN THESE TIMES
In These Times is an independent, nonprofit monthly magazine that has covered politics and culture from the left since 1976. The monthly print magazine now reaches a record 50,000 subscribers, and inthesetimes.com is visited by half a million readers a month. We're a small but dedicated staff that is deeply committed to our mission. We're also a proud union workplace with an internal culture that strives to live up to the ideals we advocate every day through our journalism. We're looking for co-workers who are comfortable working independently when needed, but excited to be part of a close-knit team that cares passionately about politics and social movements.
- Assist the Executive Publisher with the implementation of circulation and marketing programs
- Produce regular reports for fundraising and circulation programs, as well as web traffic reports
- Assist the Executive Publisher with the management of advertising accounts
- Help streamline and organize administrative operations, in-house technology support, outsourced IT management, vendor management, and human resources support
- Answer the general inquiry phone line
- Provide customer service, including correspondence with subscribers and circulation vendors regarding customer accounts, missing issues, payments, renewals, etc., as needed
- Manage incoming and outgoing mail, including shipping for donor and subscriber premiums
- Handle daily check deposits and monthly budget reconciliation, as well as payroll processing and payment for freelance contractors
- Act as primary point of contact for vendors, and track and pay vendor invoices
- Maintain administrative records and manage document retention
- Act as primary point of contact for tenants at the building where our office is located
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, and adept at learning new technologies
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and a keen attention to detail
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience with donor management and accounting software is preferred but not required (eTapestry and Quickbooks)
- Experience with Google Analytics is a plus but not required
In These Times is committed to affirmative action. Applicants of all ages, races, ethnicities, genders, religions and nationalities are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time, 40-hour a week union position (News Guild) with generous benefits, including paid medical and dental insurance, employer matched 403(b) plan, three-months paid parental leave, 16 paid holidays and 4 weeks paid vacation. The job is on-site in Chicago. Annual salary is $34,500, with a 3% annual raise.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume. The deadline to apply is April 22, 2018. No phone calls please.