For more than 50 years LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year, LAF’s more than 80 full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including public benefits issues, domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Our work impacts over 30,000 people each year.
LAF seeks a full-time attorney to serve as a Supervisor in our Immigrant and Workers’ Rights (IWR) Practice Group. The Practice Group provides individual legal representation and engages in broad-based advocacy in the areas of immigration, migrant, anti-human trafficking, and employment law. The Practice Group represents individuals statewide.
Responsibilities include without limitation
· Supervise the legal work of staff attorneys, paralegals, law students, and volunteers, primarily in the fields of employment and unemployment law, including employment-related litigation, and city, state and federal agency complaints related to such claims, including wage theft, and expungement proceedings;
· Co-counsel cases as part of staff development and be responsible for training staff and overseeing their professional development;
· Maintain a caseload of individual cases;
· Engage in advocacy designed to have a lasting measureable effect on our client community;
· Engage in community outreach;
· Develop relationships and collaborate with community stakeholders;
· Manage grants within IWR that specifically impact our employment practice;
· Participate in interdisciplinary practice between employment law and migrant/immigration/human trafficking law practiced in IWR.
For more than 50 years LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year, LAF’s more than 80 full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil…
Applicants must be licensed to practice law in the state of Illinois, and have at least six years of legal services or general civil practice experience, including significant experience in state or federal court. Applicants must be committed to working as part of an interdisciplinary and highly collegial team, and have demonstrated experience working with low-income individuals and/or other vulnerable populations. Proficiency in Spanish a plus.
Send a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “Employment Supervisor: IWR Practice Group” in the email subject line. This position will remain open until filled, as interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
LAF values Diversity, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate on the basis of disability, and encourages candidates with experience working with our client population to apply.
Applicants must be licensed to practice law in the state of Illinois, and have at least six years of legal services or general civil practice experience, including…