Details: $17.50/hr 40 hrs/wk
6532 Phinney Avenue N
Phinney Neighborhood Association
Lead Custodian and Maintenance Job Announcement
March 01, 2018
The Phinney Neighborhood Association is seeking a lead custodian and maintenance worker to care for the buildings that make up the Phinney Campus. This essential position supports our community and renters by making sure that rooms, restrooms, halls, and grounds are in clean, working condition for renters, preschools, meetings, and classes.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position 5am-1pm Tuesday – Saturday, and includes cleaning, repairs and maintenance, and supply ordering at our three sites in Phinney, Greenwood, and Ballard.
A typical day consists of 6 hours cleaning the Phinney Center campus and 2 hours of maintenance projects. Occasionally there will be a need to clean at our other facilities (in Greenwood and Ballard). The successful candidate is able to work independently or with others and to perform work efficiently while meeting a high-level of craftsmanship and care.
This position reports to the Facilities Director.
· Performing custodial work, including floor care, cleaning restrooms, emptying trash, and restocking paper towels and toilet paper, cleaning tables and counters, and dusting
- Purchasing supplies, equipment, and materials necessary to complete project work
· Troubleshooting and correcting basic maintenance problems involving building interiors and exteriors and basic mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems
- Performing preventive maintenance duties such as cleaning and changing filters and grills, clearing floor and yard drains, and performing seasonal weather-related work
- Performing upkeep and repair of interior finishes and repair and maintenance of fixtures, windows, and doors
- Occasional moving of large and heavy objects (e.g. furniture, appliances)
· Two or more years of previous custodial experience, including experience in purchasing supplies and materials online
- Two or more years of experience performing a variety of building maintenance and repair tasks using established procedures, techniques, and best practices
· Ability to work safely in an environment containing chemicals, cleaning materials, dust, and noise
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to safely operate machinery, equipment, and tools necessary for the maintenance and repair of buildings
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and appropriate safety precautions
- Skill in reading and following operating and assembly instructions
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
· Ability and willingness to work outdoors at times under inclement weather conditions
· Ability to walk or stand for prolonged periods of time; ability to bend, stoop, reach up, climb stairs, and lift up to 30 pounds regularly, heavier objects up to 50 pounds, occasionally; and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday
· Proficiency in Outlook and Microsoft Office Suite
- Must pass a federal and state criminal background check
This is a 40-hour per week Tuesday through Saturday daytime position paying $17.50/hour. We offer a convivial, positive, and flexible working environment. The PNA is an Equal Opportunity Employer working towards a culturally-diverse work place. Applicants representing the diversity of our community are encouraged to apply.
About the Phinney Neighborhood Association
The mission of the Phinney Neighborhood Association (PNA) is to build, engage, and support our diverse community through programs, services, and activities that connect neighbors and foster civic engagement.
Headquartered in a former elementary school, the PNA has developed an active community center that not only serves as a focus of the Phinney/Greenwood neighborhood, but offers programs and activities that reach far beyond the immediate neighborhood, at five different sites in Phinney, Greenwood, and Ballard. Current programs include four preschool cooperatives, a licensed preschool and school age program at Whittier Elementary, a hot meal program, programs for seniors, including the Greenwood Senior Center, PNA Village, a Community Technology Center, an art gallery, a tool lending library, a community education program, a business membership program, family memberships, room rentals, and countless special events that bring friends and neighbors together. We co-sponsor a summer farmers market and weekly contra dancing and folk music concerts. PNA serves over 25,000 people each year, has 85 staff, 1,700 volunteers, and an annual budget of $3 million.
Questions can be directed to Eric Jusino, Facilities Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
health insurance; 401(k) plan with employer match; long‐term disability insurance; a flexible spending account; self-paid Aflac products; a free PNA household membership with reduced costs for classes and room rentals; 3 weeks personal time off the first year, increasing annually; Christmas Eve through New Year’s Day off; and paid holidays.
Minimum Education Required