252 West 37th Street
New York City
Job Title: Academic & College Success Program Manager
Job Type: Full-Time, Salaried Non-exempt
Supervisor: Director of Academics & College Readiness
Direct Reports: Youth Engagement Specialists
Row New York seeks to hire a dynamic and goal-oriented Academic and College Success Program Manager. The Academic and College Success Program Manager will facilitate daily academic programming for high school students primarily at our Canarsie, Brooklyn, location with some hours at the main office in midtown Manhattan. In this role, the candidate will develop strong, healthy relationships with Row New York participants, collaborate with Program Directors and manage tutors (Youth Engagement Specialists) to deliver quality programming and support participants’ success. Additionally, the Academic and College Success Program Manager will work with a group of high school seniors to offer academic support, college counseling and help prepare them for transition to college. This position is full-time with benefits.
- Plan and facilitate successful academic programming to raise student achievement:
- In collaboration with the Academic Team and other program managers, help plan for the academic year, which includes but is not limited to, staff training, curriculum selection, pre- and post-assessment administration, and Regents prep.
- Design, plan, and implement lesson plans to teach workshops that are geared towards college prep and the acquisition of academic, social-emotional, and self-efficacy skills and competencies.
- Communicate and collaborate with RNY coaches on a weekly basis to 1) tailor academic programs to fit teams’ needs while maintaining fidelity and quality of the academic program, 2) plan and execute student specific interventions to support achievement for low performing students, and 3) debrief academic programming and receive feedback.
- Manage student behavior during academic programming through positive reinforcement, high expectations, and community building and norming.
- Develop strong, healthy relationships with all participants.
- Manage Youth Engagement Specialists by communicating clear expectations, delegating tasks, roles, and responsibilities during academic programming, and providing constructive and regular feedback.
- Manage academic communication with students and families through email, Remind App texting, and phone calls home.
- Build strong relationships with local schools, meet with high school guidance counselor and/or school liason.
- Assist in the timely collection of academic metrics.
- Seek and embrace opportunities for learning, growth, and feedback.
- Manage caseload of graduating seniors for college counseling:
- Track students’ college application process.
- Coordinate with students, coaches, and Director of Academics and College Readiness to ensure that students are on track to achieve their college application goals.
- Assist Director of Academics and College Readiness in planning and facilitating college prep workshops.
- Be a positive contributor to the RNY Community:
- Model character and leadership
- Ensure the safety of all participants
- Communicate clearly and effectively with the RNY community, including Program Managers and Coordinators, Director of Youth Rowing, and senior leadership
- Occasionally assist in coaching and/or running of volunteer days and other Row New York events
- Chaperone students to enrichment events, which include but are not limited high school fairs, college visits, and youth forums
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Deep interest in education and/or youth development
- Experience working with youth, parents, educators, administrators, or community leaders; significant volunteer work will be considered
- Flexible to work evenings and some weekends
- Strong work ethic coupled with an enthusiastic and passionate approach to work; willingness to ask questions and learn
- A sense of humor
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proactive problem-solver who demonstrates initiative and ability to work individually and with a team
- Knowledge of the college access and success landscape in New York City
- Experience working with first-generation college bound students a plus
- Spanish or Haitian-Creole fluency, highly desired
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and references via email with “Academic & College Success Program Manager” as the subject.
Row New York is an equal opportunity employer. We are firmly committed to affirmative action and strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ, veterans, elderly, and differently-abled candidates to apply. No rowing experience is necessary. We appreciate all applicants, but please be advised that our capacity allows us to only respond to those best qualified for the position.