274 Old Short Hills Road
Greenwood Gardens, a nonprofit public garden and historic site, is seeking a part-time Bookkeeper.
Greenwood Gardens’ mission is to connect people with nature in an historic garden oasis. This 28-acre property was first developed as a private estate, circa 1914, and includes formal gardens, meadows, and natural areas, as well as many significant garden ornaments, outbuildings and pavilions. Greenwood currently has a $1.5 million annual operating budget, seven full-time staff members, and five part-time and/or seasonal staff members, and has just embarked on an ambitious multi-year Strategic Plan.
The Bookkeeper will join the finance and administration department at Greenwood Gardens, which is comprised of a full-time Director of Finance and Administration as well as a Certified Public Accountant who works 1 or 2 days per month. The Bookkeeper will report to the Director of Finance and Administration and will work three weekdays per week. He or she will be integral to the operations of Greenwood Gardens. The position will primarily focus on financial and business operations, but will also include other aspects of Greenwood’s administration. There is ample opportunity for both training and growth for the successful candidate.
- Enters the majority of Greenwood’s financial transactions – invoices, debit card payments, deposits of funds, etc. into the accounting system (QuickBooks). Works with the Director to ensure proper accounting codes and classes for all expenses and revenue.
- Handles all revenue processing and analysis related to the Visitors Services department (revenue from visitors to Greenwood and gift shop proceeds) during the open season of May through November.
- Assists with the annual budget process and quarterly budget reviews with each department.
- Assists with the annual fiscal audit.
- Participates in grant tracking.
- Reconciles monthly revenue taken in via the ticketing system used for programs and events.
Day-to-Day Business Management
- Accounts Payable – processes check payments and online payments to vendors and partners.
- Assists Director with retail banking online and at the branch.
- Assists with setup of Accounts Receivable in QuickBooks.
- Manages and tracks office petty cash.
- Ensures that cash needs are met at all times for the Visitors Services department during Greenwood’s open season of May through November.
- Ensures that cash needs are met at all times for programs and events.
- Prepares and processes the bi-weekly payroll for all employees, including reviewing timesheets.
- Administers employee and employer contributions to the retirement plan.
- Ensures document compliance for new hires.
- Updates the employee time off log regularly.
- Assists the Director with maintaining Greenwood’s inventory of office supplies, kitchen supplies, and stamps, and carries out limited other administrative tasks as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred, but not necessary.
- Positive attitude and strong team player.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ideally at least 2 years of bookkeeping experience required, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- Knowledge of QuickBooks strongly preferred, but not necessary.
- High level of skill with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Ability to communicate financial information.
- Detail-oriented, and able to ensure data integrity and confidentiality.
- This is a part-time, non-exempt position.
- Three full weekdays per week.
- Competitive hourly rate commensurate with experience.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to:
Stephanie Miller, Director of Finance and Administration
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.