Details: Salary is commensurate with experience
201 N. Charles Street
Immediate opening for an experienced Staff Attorney in Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service’s (MVLS) Adult Guardianship Program. This project serves disabled adults in Baltimore City and Baltimore County under a multi-year contract with the Maryland Department of Human Services, Legal Services Program.
The mission of MVLS is to provide quality civil legal services to Marylanders of limited means. Founded in 1981, MVLS is the largest pro bono legal services provider in the state. Annually, our core pro bono program serves over 3,000 Marylanders of limited means and our Adult Guardianship Program serves 450 disabled adults.
• Represent indigent alleged disabled adults at guardianship proceedings in the Circuit Courts for Baltimore City and Baltimore County.
• Represent disabled adults at monthly review board (APGRB) hearings in Baltimore City and Baltimore County to determine whether guardianship of the individual should be continued, terminated or modified.
• Duties include: drafting documents to be filed with the courts; meeting with clients in their placements; meeting with caregivers; reviewing medical records; reviewing social summaries prepared by social workers; conferring with consultants; assessing the adequacy of care; and advocating for clients.
• Job involves significant travel to visit clients throughout Central Maryland at area hospitals, assisted living facilities, nursing homes and adult day care programs.
• Weekly court appearances in Baltimore City and Baltimore County Circuit Courts.
• Other duties as assigned by Program Manager.
• Strong advocacy skills, both written and oral.
• Strong time management and organizational skills.
• Able to work with a diverse client population, including the elderly, intellectually impaired, developmentally disabled, and mentally ill adults.
• Able to collaborate with government agencies, care providers, medical personnel and other community agencies.
• Ability to identify and resolve problems quickly.
• Ability to work independently and with a team.
• J.D. from an accredited law school.
• 2 – 3 years professional experience in guardianship, elder, or disability law; or 10 years of general litigation experience preferred.
• Must be admitted to practice law in Maryland and be in good standing.
• Demonstrated commitment to public interest work.
• Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite and familiarity with case management software.
• Position is funded through multi-year government contract and contingent upon continued contract funding.
Criminal Background Check:
The State of Maryland requires that all employees who work on this contract have a criminal record background check. The successful candidate will need to complete a criminal background check at the expense of MVLS.
Outside practice of law:
MVLS employees may not engage in the outside practice of law.
Generous benefits, including paid health insurance (individual coverage) and retirement plan with 4% employer match. Annual and paid sick leave, life and disability insurance, commuter benefit and more.
Level of Language Proficiency
English language proficiency.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply:
Please write “APGRB Staff Attorney” in e-mail subject line, attach a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample in Microsoft Word format.
Send your email to email@example.com .