The Vice President for Development plays a critical role in growing The Miami Foundation’s ultimate impact on the region at large. The Vice President for Development will lead the creation and implementation of a comprehensive development program and strategy to identify, cultivate and secure new donors; advance a comprehensive planned giving program focused on professional advisor outreach; formulate and execute plans to increase community philanthropic partnerships; and ensure facilitation of all gifts from prospective donors, including non-cash, deferred and testamentary gifts.
The Vice President for Development is a member of the Foundation’s Leadership Team and is responsible for leading the Development team operations. The Vice President works closely with the President and CEO, Senior Director of Philanthropic Services, Leadership Team and the Board of Trustees, and provides a high-level of internal and external leadership on behalf of the Foundation.
Reports to the President and CEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop long-range strategic asset development and annual work plans, including goals for asset development in accordance with Foundation goals.
- Lead the Foundation team and board to cultivate and strengthen relationships that ultimately grow our ability to impact positive change in Miami.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and close major gifts through new prospects, professional advisors (attorneys, accountants, wealth managers and trust officers), nonprofit and community groups encouraging their giving to/through the Foundation.
- Organize and oversee the fundraising efforts, including cultivation and solicitation, of the Foundation’s Board of Trustees.
- Train and support the team to secure gifts and grants through layers, and support the leadership team and board to close gifts as well.
- Coordinate with the Senior Director of Philanthropic Services on donor relations, donor engagement and gift processing efforts and services. Supports the Philanthropic Services team, which develops and delivers donor relations and engagement programming, including donor education events.
- Collaborate with the Philanthropic Services team to develop strategies to involve current donors in Foundation programs and donor-leveraged grantmaking efforts.
Professional Advisor Engagement and Complex Gifts Management
- Serve as lead staff liaison to professional advisors including managing the Professional Advisor Committee and broader network.
- Regularly connect with and presents to professional advisors and their firms to ensure the Foundation is top of mind for their client’s philanthropic planning.
- Lead promotion and facilitation of all complex gifts, including bequests, planned gifts, real estate, closely held business interests and private foundation conversions.
- Manage estate administration for bequests including any estate litigation interface with legal counsel.
- Remain informed on legal and technical issues related to community foundations and the philanthropic field as it relates to current and prospective donors and gifts; advises the Board and staff on these issues as necessary.
Management and General Responsibilities
- Build, support and mentor a world class development team with a joyful, high performing work culture and outstanding results.
- Ensure the Foundation has a strong system for maintaining up-to-date and accurate records of contacts with donors, prospects and professional advisors. Ensure effective administration of gifts, maintenance of donor records and communication of donor and Fund information, tracking donor contacts and interests, recognizing donors through new and existing programs, ensuring timely delivery of reports and communications.
Communications and External Leadership
- Work closely with the communications team to develop marketing tools for all development initiatives and charitable giving programs and to communicate new donor and fund development results to the Board of Trustees, donors and the general community.
- Proactively seek opportunities to deliver presentations to boards, agencies, professional and civic organizations regarding Foundation giving resources and serves as an external spokesperson for the Foundation with a focus on charitable giving issues and the state of nonprofit philanthropy to serve as a source of wisdom both internally and externally.
- Engage in community outreach and maintain positive relationships with Foundation constituents, community and business leaders.
Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Joy for fundraising, including enthusiasm to make asks and manage donor relationships
- Sense of humor, creativity and an appreciation of the role of philanthropy in building community
- Proven record of closing major gifts and/or sales
- Proven ability to work as a team player with diverse groups and excellence in managing and developing teams
- Highly motivated, self starter with strong organizational skills and ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills both internal and external
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently and be proactive with approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
- Commitment to diversity, accessibility and inclusion
- Excellent time and task management skills as evidenced by a proven ability to efficiently and effectively handle multiple tasks at the same time as well as appropriate delegation
- High level of integrity, professional maturity and sound judgment
- Availability to work outside of traditional business hours, to travel locally and occasionally regionally and nationally
- 7+ years of relevant experience leading fundraising efforts for mission driven institutions.
- Experience leading a highly effective team toward outstanding results.
- Excellent skills and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, working with databases and internet research.
- Experience with Blackbaud software a plus – but the ability to learn and become proficient with this dynamic software is a must.
This list of essential responsibilities and requirements is not intended to be exhaustive. The Miami Foundation reserves the right to revise this job description as needed to comply with actual job requirements.