Reading Partners AmeriCorps VISTA - Volunteer Organizer (2018-19)
New York City, NY
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org.
The VISTA Volunteer Organizer is a key player in achieving Reading Partners’ regional goals. This is an exciting opportunity to share Reading Partners’ mission with members of the community so that they are moved to collaborate with us and help our students become excellent readers. Reading Partners VISTA offers an amazing chance to give back through capacity-building roles – as a VISTA, you’ll receive benefits, a great place to serve, and the opportunity to springboard a glowing and growing career. Our top VISTA Volunteer Organizers are ambassadors for service, demonstrate a passion for relationship and systems development, and strongly believe in our vision and values.
What you’ll do and how you’ll do it:
Partnership & Relationship Management
Identify and manage volunteer partnerships throughout the region.
- The VISTA Volunteer Organizer recruits volunteers to work with Reading Partners. This includes responding to volunteer inquiries quickly, excellent customer service and collaboration with community organizations and a presence at at community events. The VISTA Volunteer Organizer is supported in these efforts by the region’s community engagement team to work on overall volunteer recruitment and retention.
Research and Resources Development
Research potential community partnerships and volunteer engagement opportunities and propose steps to maximize volunteer recruitment and retention.
- Understanding logistics of Reading Partners program and spending time on-site at Reading Centers, observing programs to gain understanding of volunteer experience, goals, and objectives. This part of the role is about strengthening the partnership identification and management, and identifying strengths and weaknesses of the current process. This work will include surveys & conversations with partners to determine what they like about the program and what can be improved.
Marketing and Public Relations
Adapt and maintain marketing and public relations materials for regional community engagement and volunteer support at Reading Partners.
- The VISTA Volunteer Organizer will give input on and coordinate collateral and templates for marketing and public relations, and determine the needs/target audience within a given volunteer portfolio. With the collateral, the VISTA Volunteer Organizer will create systems to establish a strong presence to recruit tutor support through the academic year.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Are dedicated to national and community service
- Have a strong desire to fight poverty
- Demonstrate a passion for literacy initiatives
- Are flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced environment
- Take initiative in meeting goals and seeking professional growth
- Can problem-solve through challenges and failures
- Pay strong attention to detail & manage multiple priorities
- Can quickly learn new technology systems and have a high level of comfort with MS Office, Google Apps
- Boast a deep belief in our mission & root your work in our core values
- Possess a high school or GED degree
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alum/alumna
What we offer:
- AmeriCorps VISTA members earn an annual compensation of $18,127.
- The VISTA program will authorize relocation allowance if a VISTA member moves more than 50 miles.
- Health insurance, including dental and vision coverage, is provided at no cost for our members; childcare assistance is available through VISTA for those who qualify.
- You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans. VISTA members can earn an education award of $5,920 after successfully completing their service term. VISTA members receive ten sick days and ten vacation days per year.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
The other things you need to know:
- Service Terms : VISTA members serve full-time for a 12-month, 365-day term. The VISTA term will start in August 2018 and end in August 2019.
- Travel : VISTA members may need to travel between Reading Partners sites and offices; reliable transportation is recommended. VISTAs serving in New York City will receive a transportation benefit (reimbursements for Metro Transit Authority passes per month of service).
- Reading Partners AmeriCorps Orientation : During the first five weeks of service, Reading Partners VISTA members attend a virtual pre-service orientation, introducing AmeriCorps VISTA and Reading Partners. Your direct supervisor will provide role-specific training.
- Where we serve : Reading Partners AmeriCorps members serve in a variety of regions, including California, Washington, Texas, Oklahoma, North Carolina, South Carolina, Minnesota, Maryland, Washington DC, and New York. This position will serve as a VISTA Volunteer Organizer in New York City.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity organization, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested in joining the New York City team as a Volunteer Organizer VISTA? Apply here!