167 West 12th Street
Reporting directly to the CEO, and working with the Board of Trustees, Audit, Finance and Governance committees, this position is responsible for the overall financial leadership and management of the James Beard Foundation including financial reporting, annual budgeting and forecasting, financial analysis, policies and procedures, internal controls, and risk management to ensure the fiscal integrity and growth of the organization.
The CFO will be a critical member of the Foundation’s Senior Leadership Team and will be a key contributor to the organization’s strategy, culture and high-level organizational discussions/decisions to drive growth and deliver the Foundation’s mission.
This is a hands-on role, suited for a ‘coach/player’.
The CFO will manage a small Finance team and oversee the organization's financial strategic planning ensuring compliance with generally accepted accounting standards, policies and procedures and meeting the organization's standard of conduct.
· Lead and direct the Finance team (currently 4 members, with 3 direct reports) and recruit, develop, and coaching the staff to create a motivated, high performing team that can reach the strategic goals and objectives of the Foundation.
· Oversee all areas of financial management for the timely and accurate monitoring of expenditures, procurement, internal/external cash flow, payments to vendors, billing, payroll and benefits distribution, and all other areas in keeping with the highest standards. Manage cash flow planning, balance sheet management, asset and debt management, financing strategies and activities, banking relationships, and ensure availability and optimization of funds.
· Direct the preparation of all financial materials for monthly, quarterly and year-end financial activities, including the annual audit and annual report. Effectively communicate the financial reports to the Board of Trustees, Audit, Finance and Governance Committees and the Senior Leadership Team. Ensure the timely submission of all reports, budgets, etc. to the appropriate entities.
· Develop/enhance financial business plans, policies and procedures, internal controls, budgets and forecasts. Evaluate and implement financial aspects of new business/program opportunities that arise outside of historic and new funding opportunities. Develop and monitor department budgets in collaboration with department heads. Support leadership in strategic and operational initiatives (especially through cost-benefit analysis)
· Oversee the management and maintenance of all financial records and assure consistency and accuracy with budgets, and contracts entered into by the James Beard Foundation.
· Represent the organization to financial partners, including financial institutions, funders, auditors, public officials, etc. Support National Charitable Fund Raising registration/renewal process, with outside legal direction and counsel.
· Ensure that financial compliance issues/concerns within the organization are being appropriately evaluated, investigated and resolved, including the development of strategic controls, processes and procedures. Evaluate the finance department structure and process for continual improvement in the efficiency and effectiveness of the group.
· Ensure compliance with legal and governance regulations - with the support of JBF (pro bono) Legal counsel, and internal Governance committee.
· Minimum of Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration CPA and/or MBA required
· 7+ years' experience in financial management with CFO experience required
· Experience with non-profit organizations with multi-million dollar budgets, including fundraising and grants accounting
· Financial leadership and strategic planning with strong non-profit background and knowledge of the application and production of accounting systems including policies, procedures and internal controls
· Experience of balance sheet management - assets and debt management.
· Demonstrated experience in process improvement and financial systems design and implementation
· Proficient and effective presentation skills for audiences with various levels of understanding and accountability, including the Senior Leadership Team, Board Committee's and Board of Trustees
· Strong writing skills and highly effective interpersonal communication skills
· Strong team player with the ability to successfully interact with a broad constituent base
· Strong analytical and problem solving skills
· Demonstrated leadership ability
· Emotional and Social Intelligence
· Collaborative team player
· Action/Results Oriented
· Developing and Empowering Others
· Leading/Managing Change
· Effective Communication
· Business Acumen
There are many fantastic benefits to a career at JBF. In addition to working to promote a good food world through thought leadership, education, and advocacy, JBF offers its employees a casual work environment with generous benefits including medical, dental, life insurance, 403(b), and generous paid time off. There are also great perks including TransitCheck, discounted health club memberships, and eight complimentary passes annually to dine at James Beard House.
At JBF, we enjoy working in a team-based environment and value the benefits of a diversified workplace. JBF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on age, citizenship, color, creed, physical or mental disability, ethnicity, family responsibilities, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marital status, race, religion, veteran status or other unlawful factors with respect to employment. JBF is committed to the maintenance of a drug-free workplace and ensuring compliance with Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988.
Level of Language Proficiency
English - proficient
Minimum Education Required