Everytown for Gun Safety, the largest gun violence prevention advocacy organization in the country, is seeking a passionate, dedicated communications professional to join our team to help lead and execute communications strategies that advance our federal and political campaign work. With Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, a part of Everytown, we are the counterweight to the gun lobby. Our work has a very strong focus on defeating dangerous proposals in Congress as well as pushing for safer gun laws across the country.
This position reports to the Chief of Public Affairs and manages at least two direct reports.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- overseeing the development, management and executing of an aggressive federal communications strategy for Everytown and all of its affiliated groups to help shift the national conversation about gun violence prevention in an extremely competitive media environment, and advance Everytown’s federal legislative priorities
- Developing, managing and executing Everytown’s political communications strategy during on-and-off-year elections, in order to elect pro-gun safety candidates up and down the ballot and elevate the importance of gun safety as a political issue in campaigns and elections
- Developing, managing and executing strategies and tactics in order to hold opponents of gun safety accountable and undermine their efforts through media, including individuals and organizations who oppose gun violence prevention efforts
- Cultivating and managing new and existing relationships with members of the DC press corps and other national reporters who cover politics and federal campaigns
- Working in a campaign-like environment in a rapidly changing political climate to help formulate and execute long-term communications strategies highlighting the national work of Everytown, Moms Demand Action, Students Demand Action and our affiliated campaigns
- Extensive deadline-driven writing and editing responsibilities and direct engagement with journalists on both proactive and reactive media relations
- Quickly learning about and translating complex policy and research documents and statistics into persuasive, saleable talking points for organizational partners, surrogates and legislative allies
- Coordinating with organizational stakeholders, on-the-ground volunteers, gun violence survivors, Mayors across the country and other surrogates to plug them into national storytelling opportunities, events and media appearances
- Booking media appearances and preparing key spokespeople and staff for interviews.
- 5-8+ years of experience, ideally including time spent working on Capitol Hill, or on national or statewide campaigns
- Exceptional writing ability on tight deadlines – with the ability to create dynamic, persuasive communications materials, including internal and external memorandums, presentations, talking points, press releases, op-eds, remarks and more
- Experience with reviewing polling and opinion research
- Strong communication and media relations experience, with the ability to work effectively across various media and platforms
- Social media expertise and experience partnering with digital campaigns
- Established relationships with national media and the ability to pitch stories in a nimble and ever-changing environment
- Interest in politics and advocacy on both a national and state legislative level
- Willingness to work with a growing team in a fast-paced, campaign-like environment (sometimes unpredictable hours and crisis situations)
- Entrepreneurialism and an orientation that favors action over inaction
- Flexibility and the ability to maneuver effectively and rapidly in the face of uncertainty
- Be a team player who is willing to pitch in on work outside of your individual mandate when necessary to support the greater goals of the organization
- Project and team management experience
- A good sense of humor
- While not required, knowledge of gun violence prevention issues is a plus
- While not required, fluency in Spanish is a plus
- Some travel required
Position is based in Washington, D.C.
About Everytown for Gun Safety
Everytown is the largest gun violence prevention organization in the country with more than three million supporters and more than 100,000 donors including moms, mayors, survivors and everyday Americans who are fighting for public safety measures that respect the Second Amendment and help save lives. At the core of Everytown are Mayors Against Illegal Guns, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America and the Everytown Survivor Network. Learn more at www.everytown.org and follow us @Everytown.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Everytown for Gun Safety provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture is at the heart of our organization and vital to our success