566 Columbus Avenue
Executive Manager and Director of Special Projects
The Executive Manager and Director of Special Projects is a critically important role enabling the President & CEO to work more effectively with internal and external stakeholders while taking on special projects that enables USES to meet its strategic objectives. This is a hybrid role, providing high-level support to the President & CEO by effectively stewarding the management of her tasks through intensive exposure to and a deep appreciation for the content driving those needs. This is a critical position that will collaborate with the senior team and the full leadership team of VPs, managers, and directors to further USES’s mission. The Executive Manager & Director of Special Projects will manage a wide range of initiatives from tactical CEO administrative, logistical and operational support to high-level strategic execution of special projects during a time of marked change and growth for USES. This position will be exposed to every facet of the organization, all the ins and outs of the President & CEO’s work, and is a right-hand resource to the President & CEO. The Executive Manager and Director of Special Projects is a full-time position with competitive reporting directly to the President & CEO, Maicharia Weir Lytle.
In order to be successful in this role, ideal candidates will have:
- Commitment to USES’ mission and values
- Minimum of 3-5 years professional experience, with a minimum 2 years of experience in a rapid-growth, entrepreneurial organization
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills with the ability to learn to write in and capture the President & CEO’s voice
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment, simultaneously leading multiple projects and effectively prioritizing time and tasks
- Proven ability to network with and influence individuals at all levels of an organization, as well as external constituents
- High level of maturity, empathy, and grace under pressure
- Superior organizational skills, commitment to high-quality work product, and attention to detail
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to respond adeptly to rapidly changing priorities
- Strong learning orientation – the ability to learn and grow from mistakes and the desire to constantly improve and grow
- Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the President & CEO including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments, completing expense reports, composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential, arranging detailed travel plans as needed, developing agendas, and compiling daily/weekly schedule and documents for meetings.
- Plans, coordinates, and ensures the President & CEO's schedule is followed and respected. Provides "gatekeeper" role, creating win-win situations for direct access to the CEO's time and office.
- Edits and completes first drafts for written communications to internal and external stakeholders, including presentations, memos, etc.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the President & CEO's office and internal departments. Demonstrates leadership to maintain credibility, trust, and support with senior management staff, program directors, and other staff throughout the organization.
- Acts as liaison between the President & CEO and the Development Department, ensuring alignment on funding priorities, furthering relationships with donors, and maintaining and updating Salesforce for President & CEO.
- Collaboratively plans all staff meetings and retreats.
- Supports the President & CEO in weekly check-in meetings with direct reports by taking notes and ensuring action items are completed.
Senior Management Liaison
- Participates as an adjunct member of the Senior Team including assisting in scheduling meetings and attending all meetings.
- Leverages strategic objectives of the organization, prepares agenda, ensures team meetings run on time, takes and distributes minutes from each meeting, and shares information across leadership team as necessary.
- Supports and helps to drive major culture building and core values projects sponsored by President & CEO and senior management team.
- Assists in coordinating the agenda of senior management team meetings and off-sites, all staff meetings and quarterly reviews with larger leadership team.
- Serves as the President & CEO's administrative liaison to USES board of directors and works closely with the VP of Development who services as the board liaison.
- Works with Board Chair, President & CEO and VP of Development to prepare notices of meetings and board packets including board meeting agendas, materials for meeting including management report and committee reports in a timely manner.
- Oversees preparation for Board and committee meetings: room bookings, arranging refreshments and food, collections and dissemination of material.
- Maintains board files and updates the Board Google Drive with applicable materials including board contact list, minutes, agenda, financials etc.
- Attends and takes minutes of at all board meetings. Maintains discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all board members.
- Adheres to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding board and board committee matters, including advance distribution of materials before meetings in electronic/paper format.
There are a number of ways this position will support the CEO in accomplishing her vision for the organization. Examples of special projects are outlined below:
- Supports President & CEO in conducting targeted research projects that further USES mission such as researching topics to support CEO speeches, newsletter, blogs, or community engagement activities.
· USES is undergoing a cultural change and shift. This person will lead this work alongside the President & CEO by working with staff to develop initiatives, projects and facilitate meetings, task forces to further our culture
· Event planning for important funding opportunities and other org-wide events.
- This is a full-time exempt position requiring evening, weekend and early morning availability and commitments based on the needs of the President & CEO
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS (with or without accommodation)
- Must be able to walk, type, talk, hear, and be capable of repetitive motion
- Work requires close visual acuity
- Position requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently
- Position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions
The above statement reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal function of the job identified and shall not be considered a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Minimum Education Required