KIDS IN NEED OF DEFENSE
KIND was founded by the Microsoft Corporation and UNHCR Special Envoy Angelina Jolie, and is the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone. We do this in partnership with over 531 law firms, corporate legal departments, law schools, and bar associations has served more than 16,386 children since 2009, and trained over 26,018 private sector attorneys to provide them with high quality representation in their deportation proceedings. KIND promotes protection of children in countries of origin and transit countries and works to address the root causes of child migration from Central America. KIND also advocates to change law, policy, and practices to improve the protection of unaccompanied children in the United States, by educating policymakers, the media, and the broader public about the violence that is driving children out of Central America and their need for protection.
KIND seeks a part-time Paralegal for its New York field office to support its work providing pro bono representation to unaccompanied minor children in New York through the office’s Robin Hood funding. The role will require assist with interpretation and translation, assist with outreach and community education events, assist with pro bono placement and related duties, and help manage other administrative duties in the office, including database and file management. Up to 28 hours per week.
Educational and Experience Requirements
Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, including first-generation college students and/or low-income, underserved clients.
- Fluency in Spanish, ideally bicultural, bilingual;
- A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively with persons of varying backgrounds;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; and
- Experience with resume building, job applications, network-building, and vocational and higher education pathways.
The staff member will have, but not be limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Draft, edit, and prepare legal briefs, filings, immigration forms, and client case documents;
- Manage client case data and update client management software, including upcoming hearing dates, client communications, and filing deadlines;
- Arrange and conduct client meetings for information gathering;
- Provide translation and interpretation between English and Spanish as needed;
- Liaise with colleague NGOs to receive case referrals and ensure that referrals comply with KIND's case acceptance criteria;
- Liaise with pro bono attorneys and firms as needed;
- Attend the juvenile docket and do legal services outreach.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, and three references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/.
Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work.
The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.