Grow Your Own Illinois’ (GYO) mission is to recruit, train and retain diverse community focused teachers for Illinois public schools. GYO identifies young people, parents and other community members passionate about education and assists them in earning their certification to become licensed, highly effective teachers in neighborhood schools. GYO creates a career pathway for individuals who have a passion for teaching, but do not have the means or opportunity to realize that passion. Through the resources and support provided by GYO, community members are able to succeed and persist in higher education and secure steady long term employment.
GYO is exploring the possibility of starting a new program in Decatur and is looking for someone to conduct preliminary research, conduct outreach and develop relationships. GYO is looking for an enthusiastic, highly motivated, team player who is passionate about social justice and public education. This position will be responsible for building relationships with a variety of diverse constituencies across Decatur who will become potential supporters, advocates and partners of the GYO program.
This will be a contract position beginning September 1, 2018 and will end December 31, 2018. It will be a part-time position, requiring 20 hours a week. Depending on the progress of the work, and the skill set of the individual hired, this position could evolve into the full-time program coordinator position who is responsible for the running of the program.
This position will develop relationships with a wide range of individuals, organizations and institutions all with the goal of raising awareness of the program, building support, developing partnerships and recruiting future candidates. This role will lay the ground work for the program in Decatur, introducing the community to its benefits and developing pipelines for recruitment.
Job Duties Will Include:
Primary duties will include identifying key constituencies and introducing them to GYO, developing relationships with potential partners and advocates and building candidate recruitment pipelines. The position will entail frequent travel across Decatur and occasional travel to Chicago, frequent public speaking and public engagements. Specifically the position will entail:
● Developing an asset map of Decatur as it relates to GYO
● Conducting research and compiling reports on the community and the need for GYO
● Developing and executing an outreach plan that will meet the shared goals of increasing awareness of the program, developing partnerships and recruiting candidates
● Meeting with potential allies and partners
● Holding informational sessions about GYO
● Documenting efforts and providing regular reports
● As needed, creating and distributing outreach materials
● Maintain database of all outreach contacts
Preferred Skills and Experience:
● Experience with outreach to diverse communities
● Experience working with individuals from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds
● Experience developing relationships with a variety of partners
● Experience giving presentations and speaking in front of groups
● Experience developing and executing outreach plans
● Experience working with nonprofits, universities or school districts
● Ability to absorb a great deal of information quickly
● Ability to understand the political landscape and navigate it on behalf of GYO
● Willingness to travel frequently
● Ability to maintain confidentiality
● Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines
● Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Suite
● Excellent listening and interpersonal skills
● Must work well as part of a team as well as independently
● Minimum 3 years’ experience in outreach, community organizing or community development
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
This is a 4 month contract position with the possibility of extension. The 4 month contract is for $10,000 and does not include any benefits. Payments will be made on a monthly basis.
Minimum Education Required