Position Summary: Tahirih is seeking to hire a Grant Writing Associate. The Grant Writing Associate plays a critical role in managing Tahirih’s robust (and growing) foundation grants portfolio, including grant writing and reporting, prospecting new opportunities for institutional support, and securing the resources necessary to provide services to more courageous immigrant women and girls fleeing violence.
Grant Proposal and Report Writing
- Draft tailored grant proposals and reports for funders who support our five local offices and work with the National Grants Manager on proposals and reports for funders who support our work nationally
- Partner with local and national office staff to provide accurate updates to foundations on year-to-date progress against proposed goals
- Gather, edit, and create files that supplement proposal narratives, giving a full picture of Tahirih’s rigor and impact
- Pitch new, compelling ways to tell Tahirih’ story, portray the resilience of our clients, and communicate the important role our organization plays
- Maintain a library of common grant attachments and finance and organizational metrics
- Partner with the finance department to create budgets using approved templates and/or foundation-specific formats
- Interpret charts, graphs, and budgets and extrapolate necessary information for use in reporting
- Submit all foundation proposals and reports through online portals; assist Executive Directors in preparing final files for email or mail submission
- Work in partnership with the National Grants Manager and local offices in prospecting new opportunities and facilitate collaboration across offices when multiple opportunities exist through the same foundation and/or corporation
- Perform quality control of grant-related documentation and timelines
- Update CRM and project management systems to accurately reflect planned milestones, accomplished tasks, and awards received
- Track commonly used language and populate files on a regular basis to allow for consistent narratives and branding in publicly submitted documents across the organization
- Assist with other fundraising activities, as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of related experience
- Strong writer; experience in grant writing and reporting a plus
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of tasks and projects
- Robust project management skills, including the ability to marshal resources and information from diverse staff spanning departments and geographies
- Extremely self-motivated with top-of-the-line problem solving and time management skills
- Highly organized and detail oriented – typos make you crazy!
- Comfortable interpreting charts, graphs, and budgets and extrapolating relevant insights
- Strong customer service orientation and experience partnering with colleagues virtually, either nationally or internationally
- Sensitivity to human rights issues, particularly those affecting vulnerable immigrant communities
- Interest in growing a career in nonprofit development and communications
- Flexibility in adapting to the needs of a fast growing national organization
Annual salary and benefits: Competitive compensation depends on experience. Generous benefits include fully-paid employee health, vision and dental insurance; a 401(k) defined contribution retirement plan; flexible work schedules; professional development including in-house training programs, staff enrichment retreats and other growth opportunities. Employees have a very generous self-managed leave benefit inclusive of vacation, sick and holidays, including an office closure the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
About the Tahirih Justice Center: The Tahirih Justice Center is a growing national non-profit organization that supports the courage of immigrant women and girls who refuse to be victims of violence by providing holistic legal services and advocacy in courts, Congress, and communities. Through pro bono holistic legal services, community outreach and education and nonpartisan public policy advocacy, Tahirih protects women and girls seeking protection from gender-based human rights abuses such as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, female genital mutilation, honor crimes, and forced marriage. Tahirih is a Bahá’í-inspired organization and works to create a world where women and girls can live in safety and with dignity. Tahirih’s 70 employees work from offices in the DC metro area, Baltimore, Houston, Atlanta, and the San Francisco Bay Area
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submissions: Please include a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references.
Please note: Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Tahirih Justice Center is committed to equal opportunity and promotes equity and transparency as core values. Tahirih practices inclusiveness in decision making through the use of consultation with employees throughout the organization. Tahirih does not discriminate against any person on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, ability, gender, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Applicants committed to equity from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and identities are encouraged to apply.