Facilities Assistant for Homeless Day Services Center
- Job posted by Downtown Business Improvement District
1275 K Street Northwest
District of Columbia
FACILITIES ASSISTANT for Homeless Day Services Center
The Downtown Business Improvement District is currently recruiting for a Facilities Assistant to support the homeless day services center clients as well as assisting other staff, the program manager, center agency partners and visitors to the center. In addition to working with clients and partners, facility assistants will take primary responsibility for maintaining the cleanliness of the center during the time the center is open.
Responsibilities by Functional Areas
· Possess a thorough understanding of Center operations throughout the day.
· Effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals coming to the Center.
· Acquire proficiency in using the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) to register clients upon their arrival at the Center
Personal Hygiene Facilities
· Assist clients needing to use the bathrooms, showers areas and laundry.
· Clean these facilities as needed throughout the day to maintain a sanitary and welcoming environment
· Assist clients needed clothing items from the Center’s clothes closet of donated items.
Food and Beverage Service
· Maintain a clean and well stocked supply of healthy snacks, water and coffee throughout the day.
· Facilitate the daily delivery and serving of prepared lunches in the Center
· Maintain a sanitary kitchen throughout the hours of Center operations
· Monitor client computer use according to Center protocols
· Supervise TV lounge for orderliness
· Assist with other programming, such as board games, puzzles, art projects, etc.
General Center Operations
· Must be available to work evenings, holidays and weekends
· Monitor and assist in managing client volume and flow in the Center
· Maintain inventory of Center supplies
· Conduct opening and closing cleaning and setup
· Ensure a clean environment by removing trash, cleaning up spills and other incidents
· Assist government and other non-profit agency partners as requested
Qualifications & Experience
· Minimum High School Diploma or GED required;
· Two years’ experience working in Human Services working with one or more of the following: individuals experiencing homelessness, mental health related issues, substance abuse, domestic violence, HIV/AIDS related issues, and with those living in poverty preferred.
· Ability to establish and maintain professional boundaries in working with clients.
· Knowledge of community resources in the DC metro area.
· Ability to work independently or in a team.
· Demonstrates a positive attitude, self-motivation, organization, and resourcefulness while maintaining a reputation through proven action of being team and client oriented and willing to assist where/when needed.
· Ability to negotiate different personalities and work under competing priorities.
· Ability to assess emergency situations and respond effectively.
· Experience using computers
· Exhibits a pleasant demeanor and provides excellent customer services to clients.
· Lived homeless experience a plus
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to Parker@DowntownDC.org EOE
Minimum Education Required