37 West 26th Street
New Alternatives for Children, Inc. (NAC) is an award-winning not-for-profit agency in Midtown Manhattan, with a satellite Bronx office, dedicated to serving children and families with medical complexities, disabilities, chronic illnesses and behavioral challenges. NAC is currently seeking applicants for a Behavior Specialist.
- Maintains a maximum caseload of eight children
- Works directly with the child to develop his/her social and academic skills to promote special talents, interests, and recreational pursuits with the child.
- Develops a recreational plan in conjunction with the foster parent on each child on his/her caseload.
- Identifies community resources for the child
- Advocates for the child within his/her school. This includes providing technical assistance to the classroom teacher and paraprofessional (if applicable) using the ABC model. This also includes coordination with NAC’s Education Director.
- Maintains accurate and timely record keeping.
- Facilitates and supervises visits between the child and birth family on a prearranged schedule.
- Maintains weekly face to face contact with the foster parent and child in the foster home or community. Two face to face contacts per month must be in the foster home.
- Maintains weekly phone contact with the foster parent.
- Co-facilitates weekly foster parent trainings with the TFBH coordinator alternating on a bi-weekly basis with the social worker.
- Provides a few hours of weekly respite to the foster parent
- A Bachelor’s degree in psychology, social work, special education, or related human service field is required.
- Direct experience working with children is required.
- Experience working with emotionally disturbed children is preferred.
- Effective behavior analysis, conflict resolution, and crisis intervention skills are valuable.
- The ability to serve as a possible role model to children is necessary.
- Knowledge of health-related factors in working with physically disabled and/or chronically ill children who have psychiatric diagnoses is valuable.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills are essential.
- Proficiency in Spanish is desirable
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please indicate " Behavior Specialist " in the subject line when applying. Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Mary Ann Code
Human Resources Department
New Alternatives for Children
37 West 26th Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10010
To learn more about New Alternatives for Children, Inc., please visit our website: www.nackidscan.org
“WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY”