Directing Attorney - Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project
- Job posted by Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc
Details: Depending on Experience
1530 James M Wood Boulevard
Would you like to make a difference in those individuals that are less fortunate and are vulnerable? If so, be a part of Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project of Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc., is a non-profit law firm, which provides community education and legal representation to Southern California’s most vulnerable immigrant communities. Esperanza specifically assists immigrants who are in detention and/or removal proceedings, and focuses on complex immigration cases which may involve unaccompanied minors, mental health issues, and criminal or gang history. Esperanza has provided legal services to immigrants and their families in Los Angeles for over 15 years. More information about Esperanza can be found at www.esperanza-la.org
Esperanza seeks a Directing Attorney to oversee our Capacity Building Program. The Directing attorney will be responsible for Pro Bono coordination, including pro bono attorney recruitment, placement, and mentorship. The Directing Attorney will also assist the Program Director with external relations and communications as well as with planning, developing, and administering multiple fundraising initiatives and associated activities for Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project.
- Juris Doctorate degree;
- Active, California State Bar License, or license from another jurisdiction;
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the practice of law, preferably in immigration and/or public interest law;
- Experience supervising lawyers and/or law students preferred;
- Experience in fundraising and development;
- Spanish language proficiency preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work under pressure with limited supervision required;
- Passion for social justice for immigrants required.
Our office is located at 1530 James M. Wood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015. This position may require regional travel, including to the Adelanto Immigration Detention Facility. Mileage is reimbursed.
Generous Benefits Package to include the following:
- Life Insurance
- Short / Long Term Disability
- AFLAC Available
- 15 Paid Vacation Days Per Year
- 10 Paid Sick Days Per Year
- 12 Paid Holidays Per Year
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish language proficiency preferred;
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Simultaneously email cover letter, resume, at least 3 references, and brief writing sample (5 pages or less) to: (1) Catholic Charities of Los Angeles Human Resources Department; P.O. Box 15095, Los Angeles, CA 90015, fax to (213) 251-3402, email@example.com EEO; and (2) Patricia Ortiz, Program Director , Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1530 James M. Wood Blvd., LA, CA 90015. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer.