TNTP seeks a full-time Math/Science Effectiveness Coach for the Louisiana Regional Team. This position will be based in New Orleans/Jefferson Parish, and is available immediately. Occasional travel is required.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP's rigorous teacher training program – beginning with intensive pre-service training and culminating in state certification – prepares people without formal education backgrounds to be effective in challenging school environments. At every step, TNTP ensures that only teachers who prove their ability to raise student achievement enter and remain in the classroom. TNTP’s teachNOLA is an alternate route to certification program that provides rigorous, relevant training to new teachers through TNTP Academy. There are currently more than 1,000 new teachers in 10 districts across Louisiana teaching in high need subject areas and classrooms certified by TNTP Academy.
What You’ll Do
As an Effectiveness Coach, you will develop a group of teachers into their most effective selves.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop math and science teachers through direct coaching and training, ensuring that teachers rapidly improve their performance
- Identify innovative solutions for improving the overall performance of your caseload of teachers to meet contract goals
- Collaborate and communicate with other coaches and regional staff to support a cohesive training approach for teachers working with TNTP
- Design Common Core State Standards aligned, content specific sessions for teacher professional development
- Play a supporting role in TNTP’s regional teacher development work statewide in Louisiana, providing facilitation and implementation of long-term, Common Core aligned teacher development strategies and trainings.
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect the Effectiveness Coach to:
- Bring deep experience in teacher training. You have designed and led professional development for teachers and know how to move teachers from good to great. You believe in relying on practical, skills-based training strategies early in a teacher’s career, to lay a solid foundation for long-term effectiveness in the classroom.
- Have classroom experience. You have at least two years of math or science teaching experience (preferably in a high-need urban school) or in a related content area, and a proven track record of raising student achievement.
- Know great teaching when they see it. Whether you are watching a teacher deliver a lesson, reviewing lesson plans, or looking at student performance data, you can identify where that teacher is effective and what s/he needs to do to improve.
- Develop teachers. You track and analyze teacher data, but it’s what you do with it that really has an impact. You have a knack for, and experience, communicating feedback and coaching in a way that results in immediate improvements in teacher performance.
- Have stage presence. We’re counting on your strong facilitation skills and ability to expertly lead teacher professional development, in both group and one-on-one settings.
- Get things done. You develop a strategic vision and are able to implement it. Your ability to chart a clear course, juggle many tasks and priorities, and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment will bring clarity to the complex projects you’ll lead. You also have the systems and skills to keep on top of a caseload of teachers. You are confident working independently and don’t hesitate to draw on the expertise of others to achieve great things.
- Be comfortable with ambiguity. You are comfortable and confident shifting focus and adapting to new priorities quickly to meet the demands of evolving work to provide the most effective teachers possible to high need schools.
- 2+ years of experience teaching middle or secondary math or science (required)
- Prior experience developing and coaching teachers (preferred)
- Previous experience designing and facilitating professional development for teachers (preferred)
- Experience with the Louisiana Student Standards for math or science (preferred)
- Familiarity working with Common Core-aligned curriculum and materials (preferred)
- Strong creative instincts to develop new approaches, programs or initiatives with limited guidance and historical precedent
- Proven ability to overcome barriers and provide seamless service to program stakeholders
- Ability to track and analyze data on teacher and student performance to uncover trends and act strategically and effectively to improve results
- A commitment to constant learning and improvement, in both your own work and the work of others. You thrive on feedback and implement it quickly to continually improve your practice
- Willingness to work non-standard hours and occasional weekends
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online at https://bit.ly/2H1ir0T.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check.
At TNTP, we believe that diversity makes us stronger and challenges us to think differently every day. TNTP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status or disability.
Minimum Education Required