Soccer Without Borders is a non-profit organization that uses soccer as a vehicle for positive change, providing newcomer refugee, asylee, and immigrant youth with a toolkit to overcome obstacles to growth, inclusion, and personal success. Our holistic programs provide youth who are traditionally excluded from extracurricular opportunities with a platform for positive engagement, an avenue for personal growth, and a toolkit for a brighter future.
Launched in 2009, SWB Maryland is one of Soccer Without Borders’ most veteran programs. With offices in Baltimore City, the program serves nearly 500 newcomer youth throughout the year in Baltimore City, Baltimore County and Prince George’s County through soccer, education, and community-building activities. Using soccer as a platform, our year-round programming helps newcomer youth develop personally, advance academically, build social capital, gain English language skills, and make healthy choices.
In 2019, SWB will be expanding its year-round program model to a new community in Baltimore County. This expansion will provide an opportunity for significant leadership, and the ability to establish a lasting partnership between SWB and the community. The Program Coordinator will be responsible for planning and leading implementation of after-school programming at Dundalk Middle School. Programming will include English-integrated soccer practice, community building activities, and homework help. The success of this new program will depend heavily on the relationships developed between the Coordinator, students, school partners, and families. Additionally, the Program Coordinator will support the organization through administrative and program support roles, including but not limited to event planning and participation, partnership cultivation, communications, and other duties as assigned. We are looking for the best fit for our fast-growing program, and aim to maximize the strengths of the person in this position.
1. Direct Service (80%): The Program Coordinator participates actively in program implementation. Specifically, the Program Coordinator has primary responsibilities in the following areas:
- Player Recruitment & Retention
- Practice Planning & Facilitation
- Season Planning (using SWB Complete Season Checklist)
- Player Evaluation/Goal Setting/Check-In Facilitation
- Intern & Volunteer supervision, feedback, and escalation of cases for concern
- Game Preparation (including transportation coordination with SWB Director)
2. Program Support (20%):The Program Coordinator will also play a key role in securing the inputs needed to ensure SWB Maryland can operate successfully. Specifically, the Program Coordinator has primary responsibilities in the following areas:
· Timely Monitoring & Reporting (Attendance Reporting & coordination with SWB staff, Academic Monitoring when necessary, etc.)
· Event Planning & Participation (including fundraising events such as Small Goals Big Change)
· Student & Family Engagement (including house visits and mentor matches when necessary)
· Social Media (providing material for communications, stories, photos, videos, etc.)
· Other projects as assigned
· Energetic, dynamic, engaging and creative as a leader.
· Self-starter, entrepreneurial individual able to take the initiative and be a creative problem solver
· Experience working with youth, coaching soccer and able to plan/adapt practice sessions according to age and ability.
· Dedicated to creating an inclusive atmosphere for all participants, communicating and implementing team rules and positive culture, and showing an active interest in getting to know all program youth and their families.
· Willing to be flexible as plans change.
· Interest in working with volunteer assistant coaches and comfortable delegating tasks.
· Commitment to SWB values and SWB Maryland program priorities.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-2 years of full-time work experience
- Ability to communicate positively and efficiently with many audiences
- Excellent written communication skills, especially over email
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to address challenges with creative solutions
- Comfortable coordinating large groups of people, youth and adult
- Strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Commitment to the potential of all young people, and the power of sport to create social change.
- Experience with a team sport and/or sports-based youth development organization
The Program Coordinator position is a full-time position based at our Baltimore, MD office and Baltimore County program site (Dundalk Middle School), beginning January 2019. While the majority of this position will be completed during the weekday, oftentimes events and trainings will occur on weekends and evenings. This position offers a salary competitive with peer organizations of the same size, includes a health care stipend, generous vacation time, and a flexible office schedule. Unfortunately, SWB is not able to provide visa sponsorship. SWB encourages persons of any race, ethnicity, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, and background to apply.
Level of Language Proficiency
Conversational in Spanish or Arabic is preferred but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send an email introduction and a resume with two references to SWB Maryland Director Emily Sherman at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until November 30, 2018.