4900 Puerto Rico Avenue Northeast
Capital Area Food Bank
District of Columbia
Organization and Role
Brighter Bites is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that brings healthy choices into the homes, minds, and mealtimes of families who live in underserved communities. For 16 weeks during the school year and eight weeks during the summer, Brighter Bites provides: 1) 20-25 pounds (over 50 servings) of fresh fruits and vegetables to participating families each week, 2) nutrition education taught in the classroom through a train the trainer model, as well as handbooks, recipe cards and healthy tip sheets for parents, and 3) a fun food experience consisting of a healthy recipe tasting for families to try when they pick up their produce.
Since our inception in 2012, Brighter Bites has distributed more than 15,000,000 pounds of produce, in addition to nutrition education materials, to over 30,000 separate families across six cities.
The Washington, DC Brighter Bites office is based out of the Capital Area Food Bank in Washington, DC, but we currently serve schools only in Prince George’s County, MD. The Program Coordinator’s work will be both office-based and school-site based and thus the Program Coordinator will need access to a personal vehicle to be able to travel regularly between locations.
The Program Coordinator will manage and deliver the Brighter Bites program in areas including but not limited to: Brighter Bites school site relations, program implementation and evaluation, nutrition education, and volunteer recruitment and engagement. Specifically, the Program Coordinator will:
- Coordinate and implement the three pillars of the Brighter Bites program (produce distribution, nutrition education, and a fun food experience) at multiple school sites in Prince George’s County, MD. This will look like physically being present at the schools to run the handing out of bags along with the healthy taste test with nutritional messaging to families.
- Interact with families in a way that is warm, encouraging, and culturally sensitive.
- Collaborate and regularly communicate with the Brighter Bites team (especially with the part-time Brighter Bites Program Associate and the Brighter Bites Program Director).
- Collaborate and regularly communicate with school administrators, partner organizations, and donors to implement Brighter Bites activities and strategies.
- Enthusiastically work with school leadership and teachers to ensure that in-class health education is implemented and inspire and support the school community to build a culture of health throughout the school environment. The Coordinator may teach some lessons and train teachers to teach health lessons.
- Collect accurate data for each site and report to the Program Director on a regular basis on the success and progress of each site at implementing the Brighter Bites program.
- Prepare and deliver oral presentations to schools or other partners.
- Oversee the work of external interns, volunteers, and Brighter Bites Associates to ensure proper program implementation.
- Support the preparation of the produce in the Food Bank’s warehouse as needed.
- Support the preparation of the healthy taste-test recipe in the Food Bank’s educational kitchen as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Ideal Candidate Attributes
The ideal candidate will have:
- A desire to work for a mission-driven organization.
- A passion for sharing the power of fresh food with others, especially children and families.
- Basic culinary skills and a strong interest in cooking.
- Experience working in a school as a teacher, social worker, administrator, etc…
- Experience collaborating on a team.
- Experience managing volunteers.
- Confidence working in a fast-paced, highly energetic setting in which you are able to help people calmly and with compassion.
- Basic knowledge of nutrition education and food insecurity issues.
- Excellent written and verbal skills and competent mathematical skills.
- Bachelor's degree in nutrition, public health, education or a related field.
- Spanish language skills (highly preferred). Please indicate in your application your level of Spanish proficiency.
Operational and Physical Requirements
- Must be able to travel independently to the Brighter Bites office and to the school sites (w/ mileage reimbursed). We are currently only serving schools in Prince George’s County, MD. The Brighter Bites office is located in the Capital Area Food Bank located at 4900 Puerto Rico Ave NE, Washington, DC.
- Must be able to lift produce boxes/bags weighing between 10-50 pounds each on a continuous basis.
<img src="//:0" height="2" width="659">To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Tara.McNerney@brighterbites.org with “Program Coordinator” in the subject line.
The Program Coordinator will receive paid leave, health insurance, and mileage reimbursement.
Level of Language Proficiency
High proficiency in spanish is preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Tara.McNerney@brighterbites.org with “Program Coordinator” in the subject line.