Under the direction of the Director of Institutional Giving, the Development Officer works to secure financial support from foundation, government, and corporate grant makers. They are involved with identifying prospects, proposal submissions, grant renewals, grant reporting, and ongoing communications with institutional donors. The Development Officer works cross-functionally and with the Executive Leadership team to develop and achieve short and long-term development goals for the organization; this position also works with the organization’s strategic partners to identify donor programs, join initiatives, and enhance the organization’s marketability to potential donors. The Development Officer role sits within Advancing Justice-LA’s Development and Marketing/Communications Department, and actively collaborates with Grants Management, Individual and Corporate Giving, and Communications within this department.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Identify, secure and renew foundation, government and corporate grant funding;
- Review, recommend and implement application strategies for all government and private RFP solicitations;
- Build and maintain expert knowledge of Advancing Justice – LA programs and funding landscape for Advancing Justice – LA program areas;
- Lead writing, preparation and submission of letters of inquiry and proposals and reports, including drafting persuasive and engaging program/case statements;
- Lead coordination with program staff, Communications and Finance staff on developing accurate grant budgets for submission;
- Develop programming with the Executive Director and senior staff in conjunction with short and long term strategic goals for funding programs;
- Quality products and timely submissions;
- Attend donor bidder’s conferences and workshops as necessary;
- Maintain accurate and complete grant records in fundraising software and other databases;’
- Provide regular updates of grant and contract activity, deadlines and outcomes;
- Develop opportunities to enhance Advancing Justice - LA’s marketability by establishing strong foundation, corporate, law firm and individual relationships;
- Coordinate with Advancing Justice national affiliates on donor programs and joint initiatives;
- Partner with board on fundraising prospects and relationships, and provide regular Board reports;
- Work with other Development staff on organizational fundraising events, online giving, communications, and other Development-related activities.
- All other duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent years of experience.
- Minimum 3 years of progressive development experience at nonprofit organizations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Exceptional written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Demonstrated track record of securing grants of $100,000+;
- Proven ability to work independently with the skills to handle multiple projects on various timelines;
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs (Knowledge of fundraising software(s) such as Salesforce and Raiser’s Edge a plus);
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Knowledge of AANHPI donors in California desirable;
- Commitment to social justice with a working knowledge of the AANHPI communities preferred;
- Flexibility to work some nights and weekends;
- Access to reliable means of transportation