140 Clarendon Street
YW Boston works to eliminate racism, empower women and promote peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. We work across racial, gender, religious and social lines with organizations in all sectors to educate people about disparities and provide them with tools to dismantle them.
General Statement of Duties
The Manager of Communications and Marketing will work to increase the profile of YW Boston in our community, encompassing all areas of marketing including multimedia communications, public relations, print materials, social media, and the website. The Manager will work with colleagues, senior managers, and program staff from across the agency to help set the strategic direction for messaging and manage communications across all media.
The Manager of Communications and Marketing will report to the Chief Development Officer with frequent interaction with the leadership team, and staff.
The successful Manager of Communications and Marketing will achieve the following outcomes:
· Execute communications and marketing strategy to advance the mission
· Continue to expand YW’s audience and increase awareness of programs and activities within Boston area
· Create messages and collateral to support the growth of fundraising and program revenues
· Execute and help refine ongoing communications strategy to advance mission and programs of YW Boston, including annual editorial calendar.
· Develop organizational messages and determine appropriate content delivery for messages and audiences.
· Produce strategic print, web, email, social media, and advertising communications for YW Boston, including:
o Development of content
o Strong design for marketing, event and other materials
o Project management through approval of content
o Production of communications that includes creating content about YW programs and happenings, as well as external local and national news related to YW Boston’s mission for monthly enews letter The Leader.
· Manage public relations and public outreach, working with external advisors as appropriate.
· Assist in the development of strategy and programmatic elements for special events from inception through promotion, media coverage, and audience follow-up.
· Understand organization’s audience and assess communication effectiveness through surveys, data analytics, and market segmentation.
· Oversee brand management and ensure staff understanding of brand guidelines.
· Develop fundraising collateral with guidance and input from the fund development team to grow the fundraising base and increase donations to YW Boston. This includes but is not limited to event collateral such as invitations, sponsorship packets, program books, remarks, as well as helping to write appeal letters and an annual report.
· Work with Senior Engagement Associate to support communications, with web updating, social media strategy, blog and newsletter development, email messages, and other projects as appropriate. Associate supports both the fundraising and communications of the development team.
· With new strategic direction, current website will require some rethinking in terms of content and presentation.
· Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or a related subject, and three to five years of relevant experience. Graduate degree preferred. Non-profit experience and familiarity with fundraising is desirable but not required.
· Candidates must have experience with implementation of a marketing strategy, including integrated communications using print, email, web, and social media. Experience implementing a press strategy is preferred. Candidates must be excellent writers and possess superior verbal communication skills.
· Strong graphic design skills, basic html skills and WordPress proficiency is required.
· Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge of email marketing tools such as Emma and fundraising tools such as Click and Pledge.
· Strong organizational skills are important, and demonstrated project management experience is required.
· Passion for YW Boston’s mission and knowledge of social equity issues.
· Experience in communicating persuasively about social justice issues to a variety of audiences.
· The Manager will work on projects with people across the organization and manage vendors, and therefore must also demonstrate excellent customer service and vendor management skills.
· Must be able to work effectively under pressure, take direction well, and take initiative when required.
· Must be able to work well individually and also as part of a team.
· Must be proficient in Word, Excel, Power Point, and WordPress or similar content management system. Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite preferred, specifically, Photoshop, InDesign & Premier Pro. Experience with Canva.com for social media marketing is also recommended. SEO and online analytical tools such as Yoast, Google Analytics & Wordpress Jetpack also recommended.
· Able to travel within the Greater Boston area to cover photography or audio/video interviews for programs and events.
Additional Organization Responsibilities
· Assist with agency events as needed.
· Positively represent YW Boston in all interactions with the public.
· Support YW Boston program efforts through participation in education, outreach, cultivation and stewardship efforts.
· Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Development Officer and/or Chief Executive Officer
YW Boston provides employees a generous benefit package, including:
- Medical insurance, company wellness program, flexible spending account for health expenses, and dependent care accounts
- Holidays (13/year), vacation days (15-20/year), sick days (12/year), personal day (1/year), and emergency days (3/year)
- Flexible schedule option and flex time
- Life insurance, long-term disability insurance, accidental death and disability insurance, and short-term disability insurance
- A 403(b) retirement savings plan
- Employer contribution to the YWCA retirement fund
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Salary range: $60,000 - $65,000
YWCA Boston is an equal opportunity employer. Diverse candidates strongly encouraged to apply. Send a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com. Please place the subject title "Manager of Communications and marketing in the headline of your email. Principals only. No phone calls, please.